Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

using TD-20 and TD-8 together, with ONE main out to house...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using TD-20 and TD-8 together, with ONE main out to house...

Hello. Read a few other posts touching on this, but I'd appreciate learning a bit more.

I've killer set of TD-20's, extra cymbals and sweet rack! But I've now incorporated an old set of TD-8s into the mix. I have only ONE (stereo) out to the board, so everything must run from the TD-20 out.

I understand that MIX IN from td8 to td20 is the 'easiest', but midi offers advantages.

From experience, which is the BEST path to take? I simply want to utilize the remaining 3 cymbals, kick (could use Y cable on td20 here) and 4 PD 85 pads.

Have a rather large gig Sunday, and would really like to use this new configuration.

thanks!!!

It only depends on which module's sounds you want to use for the TD-8 pads. If you only have a short time to test a setup, avoid MIDI for now and use TD-8 sounds to mix in.

Bruce

Comment

thanks bruce

Only thing that bites about the Mix In scenario, is that I have a run from the monitor board to my mix in. Didnt think about until AfTeR I posted. Duh.

There are of course better sounds on the TD-20, so that would be preferable. In my obvious ignorance, I thought I'd be using sounds from TD-8.

So then one is the controller, driving all sounds. Wile the TD-8 (in this scenario) essentially becomes a switch, allowing additional inputs.

Comment

Not sure if this will be helpful. I have a TD12, TD8 & SPDS, I hooked mine up thi way:

SPDS Headphone-Out to TD8 Mix-IN, then TD8 Headphone-Out, to TD12 Mix-IN, then TD12 Headphone-Out to the MIXER-BOARD ->Amps. All Headphone-Out levels are set to 3/4, and the Mix-In levels are varied as needed.

If I go live/onstage, I can just use the Master-Out of the TD12 for FOH

Hope this gives you ideas...

Bob
        TD-12, TD-8, SPD-S, and a whole bunch of various triggers! ALL Roland stuff :)

Comment

Originally posted by thejourneyman View Post
          Only thing that bites about the Mix In scenario, is that I have a run from the monitor board to my mix in. Didnt think about until AfTeR I posted. Duh.
          You could run that to the TD-8 mix in, and still connect TD-8 phones out to TD-20 mix-in (which is a little like the hookup bobo88 mentioned).

There are of course better sounds on the TD-20, so that would be preferable.
          That needs a MIDI connection, not audio, and may take a little longer to set up.

In my obvious ignorance, I thought I'd be using sounds from TD-8.
          For the simpler mix-in connection, you would be.

So then one is the controller, driving all sounds. Wile the TD-8 (in this scenario) essentially becomes a switch, allowing additional inputs.
          If MIDI connects the two modules, yes. But then there are additional considerations: To not just duplicate sounds already assigned to TD-20 trigger inputs you have to set sounds for TD-8 pads on unused TD-20 rims (e.g. kick), or trigger percussion set note numbers with any sound but no COSM/V-edit.

I suggest using mix-in for TD-8 sounds tomorrow and testing MIDI for TD-20 sounds when you have more time.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
            You could run that to the TD-8 mix in, and still connect TD-8 phones out to TD-20 mix-in (which is a little like the hookup bobo88 mentioned).
            If he does this he'll be sending the monitor mix back to the house.

Comment

What about picking up a Y cable that is two female mono into a male stereo. Then he could run the master out mono port from both modules to it. The other option to avoid sending the moniter mix back out (If the Mix In port is used for it) do the same thing but pile all of the sound output into one of the direct out channels. If there is a kit change you will have to do this for every kit that you are going to use on each module but if you arent switching kits the whole night then this will be easy.
              **New kit construction complete. Pangea is born**SPD-S, Malletkat Express w/ Kurzweil PC-2R, Mackie DFX-12 mixer and a pair JBL EON G2 15" amps with an Eon 518-S Sub.

11pc. Pearl kit with custom marble swirl finish, and Sabian Cymbals.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by denny_m View Post
                If he does this he'll be sending the monitor mix back to the house.
                Er, yes. Good point. Sorry for the stupid suggestion, it's been a long day!

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by lucastc View Post
                  The other option to avoid sending the moniter mix back out (If the Mix In port is used for it) do the same thing but pile all of the sound output into one of the direct out channels.
                  I don't think that would make any difference. You'd still have second module sounds and monitor return on the same mix in channel.

If there is a kit change you will have to do this for every kit that you are going to use on each module but if you arent switching kits the whole night then this will be easy.
                  Why for each kit? Output routings are global.

Bruce

Comment

Yeah they are. What was I thinking? I forget what is and isnt global sometimes. Ill figure out the warming situation and then get back to you on the module settings...
                    **New kit construction complete. Pangea is born**SPD-S, Malletkat Express w/ Kurzweil PC-2R, Mackie DFX-12 mixer and a pair JBL EON G2 15" amps with an Eon 518-S Sub.

sigpic

Comment

And for the direct out suggestion, how would it have second module and monitor return? Use the Y cable for one direct out from each module, then the monitor could come in through the mix in on either one and he could plug his phones in to that module. I may have not been clear when jumping around on the topic...

sigpic

Comment

And for the direct out suggestion, how would it have second module and monitor return? Use the Y cable for one direct out from each module, then the monitor could come in through the mix in on either one and he could plug his phones in to that module. I may have not been clear when jumping around on the topic...
                        No need to use direct out with a Y cable. I was only commenting on your "other option".

Bruce

Comment

I appreciate the consideration and suggestions. (BTW, coming from monitor board into the MIX IN on TD-20's gives a much richer sound in the In Ears. I get a fatter experience in hearing the low end of the mix).

Not sure I follow the Y cable scenario. The TD8 has line out to MIX IN for TD-20s. So there would still be a house mix feeding back into the house. In having the house coming through MIX IN on TD-20s, I've a house mix AND kit mix/levels available. And already being devoid of the movement and feel of live drums, this sounds faaaar better.
                          Now that I've added the TD-8, which is now using my MIX IN on the TD-20s, seems I'm relegated to In Ears. Until......
                          dawned on me as I was playing this AM that all of this has to be configured through MIDI. Seems (after seriously brushing up on this!) that IF I assign new notes (?) or 'names' to sounds coming from TD8, then I can use Midi out from TD8 into TD20. Thereby keeping my MIX IN on TD20s available for the house mix that is desired.

Comment

Working...
                          X