Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-20 Snare Drum Sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 Snare Drum Sounds

Hi guys,

Been messing around with the snare drum sounds in the TD-20 module and I have to say in all honesty, I'm not really that happy with them. I'm not sure if it's me not knowing the finer points of getting the best out of them or their limitations. Anyhow I need to find a solution.

I can't seem to get a 'natural' sound on the snare or the type of 'attack' on the snare that you'd get on an acoustic snare drum. I'm hesitant to fork out more money for expansions and extra sounds without firstly exhausting the possibility of the module. I've heard some awesome TD-20 snare sounds on youtube but I fear they're 'add-ons' to the basic TD-20 module.

Any suggestions?
    Check us out! www.myspace.com/therenocorradopimps

Originally posted by andygee70 View Post
    Hi guys,

Been messing around with the snare drum sounds in the TD-20 module and I have to say in all honesty, I'm not really that happy with them. I'm not sure if it's me not knowing the finer points of getting the best out of them or their limitations. Anyhow I need to find a solution.

I can't seem to get a 'natural' sound on the snare or the type of 'attack' on the snare that you'd get on an acoustic snare drum. I'm hesitant to fork out more money for expansions and extra sounds without firstly exhausting the possibility of the module. I've heard some awesome TD-20 snare sounds on youtube but I fear they're 'add-ons' to the basic TD-20 module.

Any suggestions?
    I would suggest to get some VEX.The difference is huge but keep in mind you will never get the narural sound you want but a closer to accoustic feeling.I can't believe i am posting on these questions which i also had.Hey man are you my alter ego ?
    Ex E-kits:
    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
    current E-kit
    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
      I would suggest to get some VEX.The difference is huge but keep in mind you will never get the narural sound you want but a closer to accoustic feeling.I can't believe i am posting on these questions which i also had.Hey man are you my alter ego ?

Hi Hampis!

What's VEX? I've googled it but nothing popped up

I'm happy with that alter ego ally, but how would the girls cope with two great looking dudes in the same room??

Comment

Hi Hampis!

What's VEX? I've googled it but nothing popped up

I'm happy with that alter ego ally, but how would the girls cope with two great looking dudes in the same room??
        My room is always in a mess so they will prob prefer you,also a big family man here mate
        Ok check. www.vexpressionsltd.com
        This is the BEST upgrade for your kit
        Ex E-kits:
        current E-kit
        ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
        " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

Comment

My room is always in a mess so they will prob prefer you,also a big family man here mate
          Ok check. www.vexpressionsltd.com
          This is the BEST upgrade for your kit

Ahhh, vexpressions! Was looking into that - was thinking of the Drummers Dream package but got a bit twitchy at the price around 200-00. On top of the expense for the kit, it's just another thump to the wallet/

You think it's worth going for, or shoud I carry on trying to patch through to the toontrack solo with SD2.0and ezplayer??

Comment

Ahhh, vexpressions! Was looking into that - was thinking of the Drummers Dream package but got a bit twitchy at the price around 200-00. On top of the expense for the kit, it's just another thump to the wallet/

You think it's worth going for, or shoud I carry on trying to patch through to the toontrack solo with SD2.0and ezplayer??
            it is worth it believe me !.You would wish your module had 150 kits instead of 50 cause you will love all of them.
            Refering SD2 ,BFD,etc i think it would be great if you don't mind having your laptop near your drumkit while playing.I just rejected these programmes becauce i couldn't stand the idea giving gigs in smokey dark bars and depending on a boost from a laptop.
            i cannot tell you if S2 OR BFD2 gives better sounds than the vex's because i have not tried both but i can definitely tell you that the vex rock,i have almost bought all of them and i am having a really hard time trying to pick 50 kits every time.i have made playlists (hampis 1,2,3 etc) of 50 kits each and keep switching.
            Ex E-kits:
            current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

it is worth it believe me !.You would wish your module had 150 kits instead of 50 cause you will love all of them.
              Refering SD2 ,BFD,etc i think it would be great if you don't mind having your laptop near your drumkit while playing.I just rejected these programmes becauce i couldn't stand the idea giving gigs in smokey dark bars and depending on a boost from a laptop.
              i cannot tell you if S2 OR BFD2 gives better sounds than the vex's because i have not tried both but i can definitely tell you that the vex rock,i have almost bought all of them and i am having a really hard time trying to pick 50 kits every time.i have made playlists (hampis 1,2,3 etc) of 50 kits each and keep switching.
              Hampis, I'm sold! God, my bank manager ain't gonna be happy!

Any perticular kits to look out for?

Comment

Hampis, I'm sold! God, my bank manager ain't gonna be happy!
                Isn't that what headphones are for?
                Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
                  Isn't that what headphones are for?
                  hee, hee

Comment

I recommend the TDW-20 upgrade as not only are the snares improved but cymbals/high-hats and kick drum as well. There are other improvements that add up to a great upgrade to the TD-20. See the Sticky on this in the 'products' forum. Although a few people have not been happy with the TDW-20 upgrade, I think the large majority have been. They are available for around $360.00/Sweetwater. I also have some of the vex kits and while good, they're still using the sounds of the TD-20-'you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear'. In my opinion it took a great interface module with average sounds to a superb interface with some good sounds. Go try a demo if at all possible to see what it's all about.

Comment

Originally posted by bamadingdong View Post
                      I recommend the TDW-20 upgrade as not only are the snares improved but cymbals/high-hats and kick drum as well. There are other improvements that add up to a great upgrade to the TD-20. See the Sticky on this in the 'products' forum. Although a few people have not been happy with the TDW-20 upgrade, I think the large majority have been. They are available for around $360.00/Sweetwater. I also have some of the vex kits and while good, they're still using the sounds of the TD-20-'you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear'. In my opinion it took a great interface module with average sounds to a superb interface with some good sounds. Go try a demo if at all possible to see what it's all about.
                      So are they better than the vexpressions upgrade?? If so in what capacity?

Comment

No doubt about it in my opinion. As the vexpressions don't add any sounds to the palette, just adjust parameters in the module to the existing sounds. They do an admirable job of milking what is there to begin with. Unfortunately, like you, I found most snares (and for me-cymbals) not to my liking-no matter what was tweeked on them. I never really liked playing the module with the original sounds although it has a great interface, plays very well, and has served it's purpose. I do use Superior 2.0 and BFD2 with the TD-20 in the studio. I have also used most electronic kits from the old Roland R8/Rm, E-mu Procussion, Alesis D4, Ddrum3, Larry Seyer Drums (in Gigastudio- fantastic sounding drums), Yamaha PT-8?, Yamaha RM50, Addictive Drums, etc. etc. I usually used one of my own tweeked kits in the TD-20 even though I have many of the vexpressions library-just my preference. Nothing sounds as good as my Gretsch kits and this is what I prefer to play if I have the choice-again my preference. Technology if fun though and we are progressing some.
                        Last edited by bamadingdong; 01-15-09, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I agree with bamadingdong that the TDW20 is a worthwhile advance, but I think buying a set of VEX kits would be a better starting point, and less likely to land you in the doghouse than the TDW20 board. Even with the TDW20, you would want some VEX kits. They just do such a great job of tweaking the available samples, the TD20 is not complete without them, IMO. Keep in mind that they have not yet realeased a set of tweaks for the TDW20. I wait in keen antici.......................pation.

I can personally recommend the Master Picks 1 pack, since that is the only one I own. I got it years back when I first got my TD20, and I have never felt the need to get more. I can copy instruments from one kit to another and put together a kit for any situation I come across. Again, just my opinion, but going straight from the TD20 to the TDW20 without any VEX kits would be like going straight from 1st base to Home Plate (to borrow from the romantic metaphor). Gratifying, but not the full experience.
                          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

The beauty of VEX is that you'll get a good discount on future kits, so you don't have to buy the mega-bundles. I've built up a library of all the TD-8 kits one at a time. (I think you just have to make the purchase within six months of the last one - which won't be a problem). For me, the Master 50 is fantastic and probably all anyone needs - besides the Brushes pack.
                            . digitalDrummer
                            Review index

Comment

Andy i could highly recommend the packs i got:

Accoustics,Giggin,Top 50 Drummers,Master picks,exotics and programme.

I could also recommend the ones i ain't got

ok, if it was just one i would pick accoustics !! incredible !

check out the vexpressionsltd forum too
                              Ex E-kits:
                              current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

Working...
                              X