Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

.td0 to MP3 Converting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .td0 to MP3 Converting

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and just getting into electronics having bought the TD-20 last week (bloody marvellous!).

I'm looking to convert the .td0 compact flash extension to mp3's - any software out there capable of doing this?
    Check us out! www.myspace.com/therenocorradopimps

Well, the short answer is NO. There is no software available that can convert a .td0 file to an MP3.

There are actually two kinds of .td0 files that your TD-20 can create: (1) A module backup which is a backup of all of your USER memory (trigger settings, user kits, chains, etc.), and (2) A user pattern which is a single user pattern recorded in your sequencer.

Since you are wanting to convert to MP3, I assume that you are talking about the type (2) backup which is a user pattern. These recorded performances don't contain any sounds. It is just a log of which drum is hit and how hard it is hit. So, even if there were software on the PC to change it to MP3, it wouldn't sound like your TD-20 because the sounds in the TD-20 are not available on the PC and they aren't contained in the .td0 file.

But, you can use the audio outputs on the TD-20 to record the performance when you hit the play button on the TD-20's sequencer. Is this what you are trying to do?

-SD-

Comment

Hi SD, thanks for the reply.

What I want to do is record a drum pattern that I'm playing and upload it as an MP3 on to my 'myspace' page. I've noticed a few guys on here have demos of their drum beats and sounds as an MP3 file.

Can you suggest how I'd be able to do this?
      Last edited by andygee70; 01-12-09, 05:21 AM.

Comment

All you have to do is connect the main outs or the direct outs of your ,odule to the inputs on the soundcard of the computer...use some sort of recording software - like cubase/sonar/garageband. I believe that Audacity (and maybe Reaper) is the name of a free software sequencer that would allow you to record.

Welcome to the forum...you are starting out with a great kit!
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
          All you have to do is connect the main outs or the direct outs of your ,odule to the inputs on the soundcard of the computer...use some sort of recording software - like cubase/sonar/garageband. I believe that Audacity (and maybe Reaper) is the name of a free software sequencer that would allow you to record.

Welcome to the forum...you are starting out with a great kit!
          Sak the direct outs or the master outs on a td-12 ?
          Hey Andy welcome aboard i remember asking the same things here
          Ex E-kits:
          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
          current E-kit
          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Originally posted by hampis View Post
            Sak the direct outs or the master outs on a td-12 ?
            Hey Andy welcome aboard i remember asking the same things here
            p 101 of the manual you can see the difference in the diagram between the direct out and the master outs...and page 76 how you set the direct outs to output what you want...
            Hampis, tell Andy what you used to make your mp3s?
            Last edited by saku; 01-12-09, 08:08 AM.
            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
              p 101 of the manual you can see the difference in the diagram between the direct out and the master outs...and page 76 how you set the direct outs to output what you want...
              Hampis, tell Andy what you used to make your mp3s?
              Ok i will do right now
              Andy go UTFSE.....no joking

Well, you need to connect the direct out (i am using the master out) of your module to the audio line in of your pc/mac and use a prgramme to record your drumming like this one http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
              Don't forget to adjust the master volume in case your module has a seperate phones volume.Now if you want to playalong on a track just connect your device (ipod) in the mix in of your module and adjust the volume so you can hear both music and your drums.
              Don't forget to d/load the lame encoder from audacity page so you can extract your file on mp3 format

hope that helps
              Ex E-kits:
              current E-kit
              ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
              " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

Comment

Hey guys!

I'm overwhelmed by the welcome! Great to see so many good people prepared to pass on advice - thank you once again.

Well, progress report to date. I've connected the TD-20 to a pc I've built that has M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard and Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 with all the installs. I've read about so many problems people have had and I can honestly say that I switched everything on, set the audio device in SD to Audiophile ASIO, then from the audio outs of the sound card to the audio ins of my stereo system. Phew! First hit on the snare - a nice little pop through the speakers! Really easy! Now for the problem. I want the signal to the stereo to be better, and want to use the S/PIDF connector on the soundcard but only have 'AUX IN' with two audio jacks on the stereo. Are there any solutions?

Comment

One more thing to ask you guys.

The connection from the module to the soundcard to record my drum patterns to audacity through the audiophile 2496, needs which cable/lead????

The master outs from the TD-20 module are quarter inch jacks and a Digital S/PDIF out. The inputs to the Audophile 2496 are S/PDIF in and two Audio RCA (?) Jacks, left and right.

Can anyone please tell me the cable/lead that I need?

Thanks in advance, Andy.

Comment

Ok i will do right now
                    Andy go UTFSE.....no joking

Well, you need to connect the direct out (i am using the master out) of your module to the audio line in of your pc/mac and use a prgramme to record your drumming like this one http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
                    Don't forget to adjust the master volume in case your module has a seperate phones volume.Now if you want to playalong on a track just connect your device (ipod) in the mix in of your module and adjust the volume so you can hear both music and your drums.
                    Don't forget to d/load the lame encoder from audacity page so you can extract your file on mp3 format

hope that helps
                    Hi there,

Thanks for the explanation.

How can I get audacity to 'see' the audio sound from the module? and would I need a S/PDIF cable from the module to the sound card or could I use 2 x 1/4 inch jacks to 2 x RCA jacks for this? Which would be better?

Comment

Originally posted by andygee70 View Post
                      Hi there,

Thanks for the explanation.

How can I get audacity to 'see' the audio sound from the module? and would I need a S/PDIF cable from the module to the sound card or could I use 2 x 1/4 inch jacks to 2 x RCA jacks for this? Which would be better?
                      When u connect them and press record in audacity you will get the sound .I recommend you download the softeare first and read the help in a quick view .You need a cable to connect L and R of the master out to the line in ,i don't know how you call this cable
                      Ex E-kits:
                      current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

When u connect them and press record in audacity you will get the sound .I recommend you download the softeare first and read the help in a quick view .You need a cable to connect L and R of the master out to the line in ,i don't know how you call this cable
                        Hi Hampis,

Yep, they're 6.3mm jack connectors on the TD-20 master out and then the stereo line in to the soundcard are RCA connectors - right, got it! ha ha

Thanks for the help, oh btw, I checked out some of your vids on youtube - nice work dude!

Comment

Originally posted by andygee70 View Post
                          Hi Hampis,

Yep, they're 6.3mm jack connectors on the TD-20 master out and then the stereo line in to the soundcard are RCA connectors - right, got it! ha ha

Thanks for the help, oh btw, I checked out some of your vids on youtube - nice work dude!
                          Thanks for watching Andy.I could send you a pic about the cables if that's easier
                          Ex E-kits:
                          current E-kit

A-kit

Comment

Thanks for watching Andy.I could send you a pic about the cables if that's easier
                            I've done it Hampis - only in mono at the moment, although audacity saves the WAV file in stereo.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                            X