Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Triggering From A Yamaha DD50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triggering From A Yamaha DD50?

There are many areas of the Vdurms I have not explored as yet as up to now
    it's just been great to play the drums again and play about with kit sounds etc.

However, I was looking at an old Yamaha DD50 that my wife bought me 10+
    years ago to play about with while I was touring.

My daughter has used it for the last few years, but I started to wonder if I
    could trigger sounds on my TD10 from it?

Has anyone done this or know if I can? - It does have MIDI in and out.

If not, it the very least, it has given me 7 extra pads and two pedals for
    percussion sounds which is a nice GAS enhancement!

The MIDI channel and note numbers mostly match up. Plug DD50 MIDI Out to TD-10 MIDI in and it should just play TD-10 sounds (although to not duplicate TD-10 triggers will probably need some channel or note number changes).

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for that Bruce, I did that and it worked to a degree, I can certainly
      now play the TD10 sounds from the Yamaha...however...

Currently, if I assign a sound from the TD10 module to a Yamaha pad, it
      changes a Roland pad at the same time to the new sound as well?

I know nothing about MIDI ( can you tell? ) so can I get around this and
      assign unique sounds to the Yamaha pads to trigger from the TD10 module?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

You could use the MIDI note numbers of any unused TD-10 rims (kick, PD-80/100) for DD50 pads; see note numbers on Page 150 of the TD-10 manual. And you can trigger percussion group instruments on Channel 11; see Pages 126-127. It appears that individual pads on the DD50 can be set to different MIDI channels as well as note numbers, so you could combine both approaches; some pads triggering rims on Channel 10 and some pads triggering percussion group instruments (which can be set to almost any sound) on Channel 11.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban View Post
          Currently, if I assign a sound from the TD10 module to a Yamaha pad, it
          changes a Roland pad at the same time to the new sound as well?
          Yes, that is because the MIDI note of your Roland pad is set to the same MIDI note on the DD50. Changing the sound on your TD-10 to get different sounds on your DD50 can not be done until you set the MIDI notes on the DD50 to something like the tom rim MIDI note of your TD-10 (like Bart stated). Look in the manual for the DD50 on how to do that. I believe as soon as you turn off your DD50 you will lose the note settings. They will have to be set again every time you turn it on. I may be wrong on that, just check the manual. If you don't have a manual then click here:
          http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yama...tasound)/dd-50

Originally posted by Cuban View Post
          I know nothing about MIDI ( can you tell? ) so can I get around this and
          assign unique sounds to the Yamaha pads to trigger from the TD10 module?

Thanks in advance.
          There is tons of info about MIDI on web. Just do a google search. Heck, you could most likely do the same search here on Vdrums. I only say this because all that MIDI is can not be summed up to a couple of lines of text. If you really want to know how MIDI works, use that as your search phase in your google search.
          alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
            I believe as soon as you turn off your DD50 you will lose the note settings. They will have to be set again every time you turn it on. I may be wrong on that, just check the manual.
            Only if you disconnect the AC adapter AND remove batteries, it seems (Page 21).

Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X