Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Need help with Roland's terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Roland's terminology

I know nothing about sound engineering. There are terms used in my TD-10 exp I don't understand.

1. under the Effect settings, there are send level and return level. What do they mean?

2. I'm trying to fiddle with the compression setting in order to avoid overloading my speakers. But I don't understand the effect of the parameters: attack, release, threshold, and ratio.

I've read the description in both TD-10's manual and TDW-1's manual a few times. But it's still not very clear what they mean...
    My compact kit.

1: the level that you send out of the module (or to an effect), or the level that is returned (ie comes back) to the module or from an effect. For instance, if I connect the module to a reverb effect, I can send sound to that effect, where the reverb is added, and then that sound is returned to the module.

2: every sound has 4 components. attack, decay, sustain and release: attack is the initial part of the sound as it grows to full volume, decay is the part where it loses energy, sustain is the part that lingers in time, and release is the tail that fades away: here is a good article about them. skip the initial part about synths, about halfway down the page is the info on ADSR...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR_envelope

compression squashes your sound. ratio is how much: ie. if you have a ratio of 2:1, if you have a 10db sound, it is lowered to 5 db. if you have a ratio of 4:1, the sound is lowered to 2.5db. Threshold is the level of sound when the compression begins. Ie if you have a threshold of 10db, all sounds lower than that will NOT be compressed, but as soon as the sound is higher than 10db, the ratio is applied to squash it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression ---section 3 in this article explains threshold and ration...

hope this helps! if not, ask again, and we will try to explain again, they arent the easiest concepts!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
      1: the level that you send out of the module (or to an effect), or the level that is returned (ie comes back) to the module or from an effect. For instance, if I connect the module to a reverb effect, I can send sound to that effect, where the reverb is added, and then that sound is returned to the module.
      But in the case of a TD-10 module, those terms refer to internal effects on the module; there's no effects send output or effects return input to connect external effects and use those controls.

Send level is individual (per pad) whereas return level is total (per kit).

Bruce

Comment

Many thanks, saku and Bruce. They make more sense now.
        My compact kit.

Comment

Working...
        X