Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Ride Cymbal wear CY-15R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Cymbal wear CY-15R

I have searched the forum and can see that this is a bit of a regular and perhaps unavoidable occurrence.
    I have owned my TD20 kit for about 5 years gigged and practiced on it almost daily. So no real complaints here, it has stood up very well. I haven't had to repair or replace anything other than one rack clamp, and 2 pair Zildjian nylon tip 5A sticks.
    Problem The ride cy-15r has lost it's harder surface on the strike zone and now soft and more rubbery feeling surface is exposed which is crumbling during use. All other cymbals and heads/pads are 90% and quite good.

I believe that the extra wear is due to the strike angle (ref JohnB), because although I would definitely play the hats much more they are basically unmarked. So for anyone reading this I recommend trying to play your ride as flat as practical.

Because they are expensive to replace I was hoping that somebody may know of a way of resurfacing or patching the suface to eliminate the now crumbling rubber which is falling out over the Kit. I am reluctant to put tape or anything on it because of what the adhesive might do.

Any discussion, experiences or advice most welcome thanks.

Can you order just the whole rubber cover from Roland? Probably spendy I'm sure but gotta be way cheaper than replacing the whole cymbal. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbutmean View Post
      Can you order just the whole rubber cover from Roland? Probably spendy I'm sure but gotta be way cheaper than replacing the whole cymbal. Just a thought.
      Thanks for your suggestion, yes I will attempt that as a last resort prior to emptying my pockets for a new complete one. Do you know if there is much involved in removing the rubber?

Comment

Removing the rubber surface is actually quite easy. You just remove the 2 plastic "dots" at the bottom of the pad and tear off the rubber gently. There's a manual for fixing the CY-15R bell issue somewhere on this forum with photo's of this procedure.
        TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
        Loving it every second..

Comment

Working...
        X