Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

*** HELP!!! TD-10 noisy out front in the PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** HELP!!! TD-10 noisy out front in the PA

I am using an old TD-10 (I bought new around 1999) with the expansion board. The situation is this:

I have my own monitor send coming out of the monitor board on the side of the stage to the "mix in" on the Roland TD-10. I also have my click track with that (produced by the TD-10) going into the "phones" and into my ultimate ears (Triple-fi pros). I am using one of the really old-school dual-trigger non-mesh smallest pads (about 6" or whatever it is and with the white plastic, not metal). The pad is used for sounds like tambourine, cowbell, rim clicks, alternate snares, thundering low toms, splash, china, etc. in conjunction with my acoustic kit.

I am using one of the direct outputs (1/4" of course) into the snake on stage (XLR). The soundman claims that he can't really use my signal because it is so nosiy with some sort of low-mid hum that he can't even use my sounds

We have tried other cables (all the way around) and different channels on the snake. Same results. We have also tried one of the little ground lift plugs on the power for the TD-10.

Is there anything else I can try? Please list some other things I can try. Has anyone else heard of a noisy humming/buzzing TD-10? Should I look at getting it repaired? Where?

Thanks!

I'm a soundman, and your guy seems to be talking out of his backside (so to speak).
    There is no such word as can't..

You have yourself a ground loop. The easy solution:
    1) A DI box (Stereo if you wish) Passive would be fine, but I prefer active designs.
    2) Jack-to-Jack leads to DI box.
    3) XLR out of DI box into XLR in of stagebox.
    4) Most (if not all) Di boxes have a ground lift switch. Try it on, and off to see which works best.

I'm very surprised that your sound bloke hasn't already got DI boxes. Bass guitar commonly is DI'ed, as are keyboards.

Comment

Originally posted by S-E-A View Post
      I'm a soundman, and your guy seems to be talking out of his backside (so to speak).
      There is no such word as can't..

You have yourself a ground loop. The easy solution:
      1) A DI box (Stereo if you wish) Passive would be fine, but I prefer active designs.
      2) Jack-to-Jack leads to DI box.
      3) XLR out of DI box into XLR in of stagebox.
      4) Most (if not all) Di boxes have a ground lift switch. Try it on, and off to see which works best.

I'm very surprised that your sound bloke hasn't already got DI boxes. Bass guitar commonly is DI'ed, as are keyboards.
      OK, well, not really "can't" but I guess he'd rather not use it because it adds so much noise to the overall sound out front. We do have direct boxes (on the bass guitars and keys just as you mentioned). I'll just try out one of theirs and see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know how it goes when I am able to try that out.

Comment

Working...
      X