Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

AHEAD Drumsticks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHEAD Drumsticks??

I'm thinking of trying a set of AHEAD 5A drumsticks with my e-kit. Any pros or cons?

I'm currently using promark portnoys and standard promark 5As.

Thanks.
    -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Disregard... answered my own question... MODS, you can delete this post if you want. Thanks.
    -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

From what I have read, when I was considering them, avoid them! Because they have a metal sleeve inside they are perfect for damaging cymbals. Now if you have all rubber cymbals it's not too big a problem I guess, but it would play havoc with metal and I imagine polymer too.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
        From what I have read, when I was considering them, avoid them! Because they have a metal sleeve inside they are perfect for damaging cymbals. Now if you have all rubber cymbals it's not too big a problem I guess, but it would play havoc with metal and I imagine polymer too.
        I don't believe they are any harder on a cymbal than a normal stick.
        The metal has nothing to do with what hits the cymbal, it is only a hollow metal core that holds the plastic sleeve. They look and feel just like normal sticks and hit the same way.
        I have been using Aheads for years with no problem and so far on my E kit they are fine.

I recommend them highly. No cymbal damage after one year and they feel great.
        They also seem to absorb a lot of vibrations over wood sticks and I prefer them on my E's.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I may try them... I do have hart metal cymbals, but of course they have the rubber pads on them. Are they much heavier than wooden sticks?
          -Coop

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
            I don't believe they are any harder on a cymbal than a normal stick.
            The metal has nothing to do with what hits the cymbal, it is only a hollow metal core that holds the plastic sleeve. They look and feel just like normal sticks and hit the same way.
            I have been using Aheads for years with no problem and so far on my E kit they are fine.

I recommend them highly. No cymbal damage after one year and they feel great.
            They also seem to absorb a lot of vibrations over wood sticks and I prefer them on my E's.
            Interesting my friend. A conflict on the reports I read. However, I'm more averse to spending 30 on a pair of sticks!

Comment

Originally posted by labenske View Post
              Thanks for your replies.

I may try them... I do have hart metal cymbals, but of course they have the rubber pads on them. Are they much heavier than wooden sticks?
              Nope, about the same weight as a wooden stick. I also have the Hart setup and they have been fine for me so far. I admit I don't play as often as others do, sometimes only once a week. Maybe others are just really crazy hard hitters?? You are hitting with plastic basically but it is as hard as wood if you know what I mean.

One thing I recommend is put some grip tape on them as they are slippy by themselves. ii

KeV: They are a bit pricey but last a lot longer so..
              If you have a particular post I would love to read it. They act the same as any other stick so I am unsure, and curious, what the deal is.

Some people just do not like artificial sticks. Then again I was also a fan of the artificial Mainline's while they were still out. I still have a few pairs of them.
              Maybe it is a personal thing like "Which is better the wood tip or the plastic tip?”

I personally think they have less vibration and are consistent in size and weight.

Did I mention to put wrap on them? ii
              Last edited by paladin; 01-06-09, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I'll have a look for the article tomorrow Paladin.

Comment

I actually just recommended the 5B Limiteds in another thread. Have used them 8 years and absolutely love them.
                  Alan
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
                    I actually just recommended the 5B Limiteds in another thread. Have used them 8 years and absolutely love them.

SO what are the differences between the Limiteds and the normal ones? I see a chrome bottom and a more round tip. Is that about it? ii
                    What sucks is I would LOVE to have the chrome bottom but I would rap and cover it anyway ii

My entire kit has a chrome theme. Now where can I find that silver chair cover for my Roc N Soc! ii

Comment

I used them about 4 years ago and didn't really like them, they look good though! They have probably been improved since then.

I found the to be too heavy and didn't give me a lot of feedback when playing.
                      Last edited by Crazen; 01-08-09, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Here's the review that disuaded me...

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Ahead_Drumsticks__Review_5538142

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                          Here's the review that disuaded me...

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Ahead_Drumsticks__Review_5538142
                          That is indeed interesting. I am unsure I agree with it as I used them with my Zildjians for years without any problems. Maybe I got lucky but I do not think it hits so hard that it is like hitting a cymbal with a metal rod as they said.

Hell it is only an aluminum shaft, there is still plastic around it and they do absorb vibrations, that is why I like them. I think they absorb even better than wood and that is why they are nice on the E kits as my E cymbals are super heavy. E kits are different that way so even if that was true it would not apply as much on them I would think.

To quote another drummer while researching this: "I could see that if it was just aluminum drumsticks hitting a bronze cymbal. It's not, though. It's a thick plastic sheath hitting a bronze cymbal. If you're dumb enough to keep hitting the cymbal after your plastic sheaves break and fall off, well, you're not very wise."

Oh well I guess people use whatever they like ii
                          I will continue to use them until I have a problem I guess, which has not happened since I started using them many many years ago. ii
                          Last edited by paladin; 01-07-09, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Well I am more tempted to try them after your report now. I can certainly see the benefits they should offer.

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
                              If you used them for the last 8 years, and they're still available...that's a very long "limited" edition.
                              I might just give them a go. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X