Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

rebound at different velocity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebound at different velocity?

I searched the forum and found no discussion on this...

I've just acquired a brand new PD-125 and connected it to an exp TD-10. This is my very first mesh head.

Now, what I found is the rebound is kinda weird (this is the only word I can think of to describe it), very different from an acoustic snare. When I hit it light (think ghost notes), it feels good, very much like acoustic. But when I hit it hard, it feels like the head cushions my impact and doesn't rebound well. I can't do proper single roll on the mesh head.

Apparently, what I want is a head as close to an acoustic snare as possible. What should I do now? Tighten or loosen the head? I'm stuck.

EDIT: Is it what people call the "trampoline" effect? But from what I read, the trampoline effect gives more rebound, not less...
    My compact kit.

I like mine really tight. Hard strokes rebound rather well.
    sigpic

Comment

Same here, nice and tight gives you good rebound, just don't do that for a mesh kick though!

Comment

Michael and KevH,

Do you remember how many turns you've tightened the bolts?

I don't really know how to gauge how tight is tight. TD-10's tension gauge says my mesh is already too tight. I read on some old threads that 2 turns should be about right. My bolts are around 2.5 turns...

Thanks.

p.s. And I am getting the nasty hot spot problem too. I've tried the settings suggested by gb but the problem doesn't go away... I think I'll cross post this on the hot spot thread.
        My compact kit.

Comment

I have no idea how many turns I use. heh. I just twist till it feels right.
          sigpic

Comment

No idea either, but as a guide (according to Hart) tighten until you can depress the head approx. 2 mm with your finger. Also remember to re tension the heads each week (or more if you play a lot)

Comment

If I remember correctly there is a reference in the td-12 manual with respect to pd85 tom tensioning . Download a td12 manual and look in it . If I remember correctly there was a measurement of 7mm in there. It was from the edge of the rim to some other point I just don't remember where.
              I think that was the starting point

I had a wierd rebound stroke as well as a result of the head being too loose. I raised the tension about a quarter of a turn on each bolt and life is now good.

cheers
              RJ
              TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

Working...
              X