Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Monitor/Amp dilemma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor/Amp dilemma.

I'm new to this forum. I live in Birmingham UK. Just bought a Roland Td9 kit. I'm not sure what monitor to buy. The Rolands are quite expensive. I saw a Wharfdale 12 and 15. I don't think they are specifically drum monitors but they are half the price. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between drum monitors and other monitors. I'm new to e-drums, have played acoustuc kits for years.

Welcome to another Brit .............. there's lots of threads regarding this ..... use the search engine for lots of opinions on this subject.
    TD10ex, SPD-S, kd's, pd's, cy's, Koby, KitToys ( 9" splash & 10" mini china - yep you read that correctly... a very rare 10" mini china lol ), Iron Cobra, Mackie, Beyer. arizonaband.net

Comment

With drum monitors hearing believing. But short of having a guitar center nearby willing to demo anything on anything. Ask for someone on this forum with the specific equipment you are looking to buy.
      TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

here is one thread about the subject. there are others...
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45206
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Scratch,

drums cover a wide frequency range, from the lows of the kick to the highs of the cymbals. You need an amp with some oomph and the ability to handle this wide frequency range.

there are warnings about not using guitar amps, they can't handle the lows

I tried my v-drums through a bass amp, it didn't sound too good. as it's optimized for the bass guitar frequencies

that leaves you with a dedicated drum monitor, keyboard amp, PA or a couple other options, the TD-3 manual shows how to hook it up to a home stereo

it depends what you are doing, just playing at home playing along with the iPod, you won't need a big amp, if you want to play out, you'd need something bigger ( and more expensive)

I have the PM-10, it's enough for me and the iPod. It's probably inadequate for playing out.

you'll find some answers in previous postings

if you have other or specific gear questions you've got a world wide bunch here who will chime in on them
          Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Build one much by far the cheapest and most interesting way although mine was 6 months in design :s So its a long job if you want it exactly right.

Comment

Working...
            X