Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

slightly OT: decent passive home speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slightly OT: decent passive home speakers

OK, this maybe off-topic. My old Technics hifi-set in the living room has to be replaced in the near future. First I was thinking of using active monitors with a preamp or mixer like 'lectricdrumma once had a thread about. But that isn't very practical for a number of reasons.

So now I'm thinking about getting something like a good Denon or Yamaha AV receiver with a DVD (or maybe blu-ray) player, but I wouldn't know what passive speakers to get. I did a little test with my KRK-8's and they sound so much better than the Technics, much brighter and detailed. So I'm looking for something like those but passive. Also that kind of price or a little higher, but not the kind you can buy a small car for. Can anyone point me into the right direction?

By the way: I'm not looking for surround setups (so no extra rear or centre speakers, 5.1 or 7.1 sets) and I also haven't heard a decent 2.1 set yet. To me the sub always sounds detached from the speakers, regardless of the statement low frequencies are not (or less) directional than high frequencies and thus the woofer can be placed elsewhere. The setup will be used for listening to music and also watching TV or films, but that's less important.

Not sure if this will fit the bill but check out http://www.fluance.com/.
    I bought a surround system from them about four years ago and you can't beat the price/performance ratio IMHO. They use MDF with a vinyl covering and I was pretty skeptical but they sound very good.
    TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Thanks, I also got a link to a dealer of good speakers, I'll go check both out!

Comment

Working...
      X