Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Adding more tom triggers to a full TD 6v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding more tom triggers to a full TD 6v

I have heard said I can use a splitter to add more tom triggers to my td6v, thus using the head and rim triggers each as tom triggers. This wold obviously leave all my toms as a single trigger but that would be ok by me.

Is this an accurate procedure?
    Jeff

Yes, you can split the Tom2/3 and Tom4/Aux inputs and have 4 pads (e.g. 4 toms) as single trigger - you can then use Tom1 for a dual pad such as a cymbal to maximise the number of triggers you can have.

To split the pads you need a simple stereo to 2 x mono splitter lead available for a few $//.

Comment

cord designation

So do I use the stereo plugs into each trigger ? or do they need to be mono
      Jeff

Comment

I have been looking to make use of all of my TD-6V also.

Swaledale, question for you:

In the above suggestion, you recommend using inputs TOM 2/AUX and TOM3/4 to get 4 single trigger pads. I understand how that aspect works.

According to my research, it appears that to get 3 way triggering of a CY-12R/C on a TD-6V, it it necessary to utilize 2 dual trigger inputs. Is it possible to trigger Bell/Bow on the "ride" input, and also trigger Bow/Edge using the TOM 1 input? All of this WHILST using 4 toms? Because THAT would be awesome!!! Thanks.
        *TDW-20* KD-8 w/Iron Cobra single, PD-125, PD-80R, VH-11, PD-8(X3), CY-12R/C, CY-8(X2), older MDS-6 rack with additional lower crossbar for support, Roc 'n' Soc Nitro, ATH-M50 and MDR-7506

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think...

Comment

great questio I would like to do that tooooo
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jesch View Post
            So do I use the stereo plugs into each trigger ? or do they need to be mono
            Mono ends from the pads to stereo end at the module. There's a clear and useful diagram on Page 21 of your TD-6V manual. You also need to make the settings listed on Pages 70-71 under "Connecting Two Pads to Trigger Input 5/6 (TOM2/AUX) and 7/8 (TOM3/4)".

Originally posted by Soundofmind View Post
            According to my research, it appears that to get 3 way triggering of a CY-12R/C on a TD-6V, it it necessary to utilize 2 dual trigger inputs. Is it possible to trigger Bell/Bow on the "ride" input, and also trigger Bow/Edge using the TOM 1 input? All of this WHILST using 4 toms? Because THAT would be awesome!!! Thanks.
            No reason why not. Set the bow of one input to instrument sound 1024 OFF.

Bruce

Comment

As bruce said, no reason why not at all. Thats what I'm doing with my kit currently (although, to be fair, the 4th tom is actually usually a cowbell).

Also, it doesnt matter whether you use mono or stereo leads from the pads to the splitter, if you are using an insert cable with plugs at both ends, it should be fairly obvious!

Comment

Just do a google search for stereo to mono lead and look for something like this...
                http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc...Track=SK176952

As Bruce and Ige have said, yes you can use the Tom1 input with the ride to allow 3 way triggering (as always you lose one of your triggers ding this but there is no other way of doing it if you want 3 way triggering on one cymbal). There's plenty of posts on the site about setting up 3 way triggering on various modules.... or you can ask again if you get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post

Also, it doesnt matter whether you use mono or stereo leads from the pads to the splitter, if you are using an insert cable with plugs at both ends, it should be fairly obvious!
                  Perhaps not in this situation when splitting an input on the TD-6, but if you want to duplicate pad inputs (which is a totally different issue to the one discussed in this thread) there are situations when combinations of different pads won't work, see post 18 in this thread

Comment

So....here is my plan....can I .......use a PD 120 as a dual trigger snare..2 pdx 8 as singlr trigger toms and 2 pd 8 as singlr trigger toms all split from tom 2/3 and tom aux .... then possibly use the tom 1 and split it with my last pd8 as a utility sound ie tamb/cowbell/whatever.................in short giving me 4 toms and a utility trigger
                    sorry to be a know nothing...but Im a know nothing ....lol
                    Jeff

Comment

.......and further more the cords to be used betweem em all what I dont grasp really is will these all read or pick up correctly if i split stereo to mono off the module....but still use the stereo cables is currently use. will the dual triggger pads reconize the stereo and pull one signal or???? do I need to go all mono from pad to splitter.........I hope this is clearer than muddy H2O
                      Jeff

Comment

So....here is my plan....can I .......use a PD 120 as a dual trigger snare..2 pdx 8 as singlr trigger toms and 2 pd 8 as singlr trigger toms all split from tom 2/3 and tom aux .... then possibly use the tom 1 and split it with my last pd8 as a utility sound ie tamb/cowbell/whatever.................in short giving me 4 toms and a utility trigger
                        sorry to be a know nothing...but Im a know nothing ....lol
                        Yes! I (when the 2 on order arrive) will have 5 toms,a snare, the kick and 3 cymbals all on a TD6V. You need the splitter cable mentioned for 4 of the toms to use the auxilliary inputs. Look in your TD6V manual and it gives you the name of the cable you need, but you will have 4 toms connected on split cables into the auxilliaries, plus the 5th tom in a normal input.

Comment

.......and further more the cords to be used betweem em all what I dont grasp really is will these all read or pick up correctly if i split stereo to mono off the module....but still use the stereo cables is currently use. will the dual triggger pads reconize the stereo and pull one signal or???? do I need to go all mono from pad to splitter.........I hope this is clearer than muddy H2O
                          As ige87 said at post #7, it doesn't matter; stereo or mono between pads and splitter.

Bruce

Comment

You're fine with PD120 as a dual trigger snare with a standard stereo to stereo lead, and using the PD8s and PDX8s as single trigger toms so long as you use splitter cables (stereo to 2 stereo OR stereo to 2 mono) in the Tom2/3 and Tom4/aux inputs.

You also talk about 'splitting' the tom 1 input (?) - you just need to use a dual trigger pad in it so that you can assign whatever sounds you want to the head and the rim separately (best to use a rubber pad - either a CY cymbal or PD8 and not a mesh head pad). You cannot split the Tom 1 to use as the head trigger on two separate pads as you are doing with the other tom inputs, you have to use it as a head and a rim trigger.
                            Last edited by Swaledale; 01-05-09, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys!!!
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X