Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

SD5K compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD5K compatibility

I have a Simmons SD5K set, and it came (on eBay) with a KD-8 bass drum. The bass drum didn't work, and I found out that it was incompatible with the SD5K. I would obviously like to have a working bass drum, but I want to make sure I buy one that will work...
    I searched for the original pad that comes with a new SD5K, but no luck. Which brands or models could I use with my set?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by crimsondynamo View Post
    I have a Simmons SD5K set, and it came (on eBay) with a KD-8 bass drum. The bass drum didn't work, and I found out that it was incompatible with the SD5K. I would obviously like to have a working bass drum, but I want to make sure I buy one that will work...
    I searched for the original pad that comes with a new SD5K, but no luck. Which brands or models could I use with my set?
    Thanks!
    That KD-8 should work. Have you tried a different cable or have you tried plugging it into one of your other trigger inputs just to see if the KD-8 is working properly? Its got to be either the cables bad, the KD-8 is bad, or the bass drum trigger input is bad because that KD-8 should work. You have everything you need to test if the KD-8 is bad. It is just a matter of trying the KD-8 with different inputs and cables (just use a cable from one of your other triggers). Lets us know what you find.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Seems like he already tested everything six months ago: SD5K + KD8 compatibility problem?

But I agree it's strange.

Bruce

Comment

I didn't post that I had already tried everything imagnable. I tried three different KD-8s on every input with at least three cables, and even with different bass pedals. I also asked a person in the drum section of a Guitar Center near my area, and he agreed that Roland bass pads are incompatible with the SD5- or 7-K. So, unless I missed something... I'm pretty sure it's incompatible
        So, any thoughts on which pad would work?

EDIT: BarT beat me to it! Anyways, what he said.

Comment

After increasing the gain (pad sensitivity) for the kick to 15, you also pressed the Save button?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
            After increasing the gain (pad sensitivity) for the kick to 15, you also pressed the Save button?

Bruce
            Yes, I followed the exact words of the instruction book.
            Maybe I should change the subject a little: My KD-8 is on eBay right now, so I am looking for a different one. I am no longer trying to get the KD-8 to work with my set. Thanks for all the help, but I would like to shift that help to getting a new pad.
            Thanks!

Comment

Yep; but we can't understand why a KD-8 wouldn't work, so it's difficult to recommend an alternative.

Other pads work fine in the kick input?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                Yep; but we can't understand why a KD-8 wouldn't work, so it's difficult to recommend an alternative.

Other pads work fine in the kick input?

Bruce
                Yeah, I've been using my Tom 3 pad as the bass for... six months... ugh
                Here's my guess: The KD-8 sends a different electronic signal than the SD5K wants, maybe because Simmons uses different specs in order to lock customers to their products? Just a guess

Comment

...maybe because Simmons uses different specs in order to lock customers to their products? Just a guess
                  I'm sorry to hear that it is not working for you. It's a very odd that the KD-8 doesn't work. As to your comment above, This is not unheard of in the edrum biz. Both Roland and Yamaha have some things that are proprietary to their systems.

As for an alteritive to your bass drum trigger, you might want to check out this:
                  Alesis DM5 electronic drum bass trigger

I suggest this one because the people who make Simmons drums and Alesis drums is the same company. Just a thought.
                  alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into that one!
                    By the way, a bidder on eBay asked if the kd8 works with the Roland TD-3 VDrum. It will, right?

Comment

By the way, a bidder on eBay asked if the kd8 works with the Roland TD-3 VDrum. It will, right?
                      All new TD-3 kits for the last five years have included a KD-8; so, yes.

Bruce

Comment

Does anyone have a recommended top bid for the Alesis DM5 Bass?
                        Alesis DM5 electronic drum bass trigger

Comment

Working...
                        X