Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD20 on board mixer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johncota
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Tom View Post
    I doubt he can afford to buy what I bought the Yorkville NX750 at 750$ a pop pretty steep for his shallow pockets if you know what I mean.
    Believe me, I know by experience. I had several starving musicians in my band, and I financed everything from the p.a. system to a new Yamaha Motif keyboard to a Marshall half stack. Fortunately they paid me back because we gigged weekly for four years. Sometimes it takes a financier to get a band going because a lot of good musicians cannot afford good gear.

Here are a few inexpensive options for a drum monitor system:

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=dru...itor&_osacat=0

Last edited by johncota; 12-29-08, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Major Tom
    replied
    Originally posted by johncota View Post
    Yes, definitely tell him to not turn up his master volume on the TD20 up higher than two-thirds (otherwise he will send you a clipped signal). You can always have him turn down all of the sliders just a little bit except for the kick drum and the snare if you need them louder. Ideally it would be best if you could keep all of the gains at zero gain (usually the halfway point) or less except for the volume on the powered monitor, which is okay to run at full volume just like you are doing.

Here's the real problem that you need to address: You are using his band monitor for his drum monitor. I tried doing this in my former band, and it never worked well. There are simply too many other sounds coming out of the band monitor for him to isolate the drums to hear himself properly. He needs an isolated amp/monitor for his instrument AND a band monitor in my opinion (just like the other musicians in your band have). If he gets a dedicated drum monitor like all of the other v-drummers out there have, you won't even have to put any drums in his band monitor.

Again, I hope this helps. I can relate to your plight.

Right on man never thought about a dedicated drum amp makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot and appreciate the advise. Now just gotta figure what to use as a drum amp. I doubt he can afford to buy what I bought the Yorkville NX750 at 750$ a pop pretty steep for his shallow pockets if you know what I mean. I heard a Tapco Thump but compared to the NX750P sounds like crap. We tried a Yorkville YX15 but just didn't have the balls he wanted but then again we had it as his band and drum wedge. Just wondering if it could keep up on SPL for a 5 piece R&R plus he's kinda hard of hearing don't help matters neither. His stubbornness won't allow headphones which IMO is the best option available. IEM are out of the question. So yea time for him to go shopping.

Leave a comment:

• johncota
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Tom View Post
    It why I'm asking should I just have him turn the sliders on the Roland mixer all the way up and maybe the master set to 2/3 and then set the gain.
    Yes, definitely tell him to not turn up his master volume on the TD20 up higher than two-thirds (otherwise he will send you a clipped signal). You can always have him turn down all of the sliders just a little bit except for the kick drum and the snare if you need them louder. Ideally it would be best if you could keep all of the gains at zero gain (usually the halfway point) or less except for the volume on the powered monitor, which is okay to run at full volume just like you are doing.

Here's the real problem that you need to address: You are using his band monitor for his drum monitor. I tried doing this in my former band, and it never worked well. There are simply too many other sounds coming out of the band monitor for him to isolate the drums to hear himself properly. He needs an isolated amp/monitor for his instrument AND a band monitor in my opinion (just like the other musicians in your band have). If he gets a dedicated drum monitor like all of the other v-drummers out there have, you won't even have to put any drums in his band monitor.

Again, I hope this helps. I can relate to your plight.

Last edited by johncota; 12-29-08, 12:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johncota
    replied
    Originally posted by BarT View Post
    It's not clear to me which outputs you're using from the TD-20. Master output(s) to PA mixer, and some other output direct to the drummer's powered monitor?

Bruce
    It sounds to me like he is not using a dedicated personal drum monitor, but rather, a monitor that runs off of the band's sound system. Is that the case Tom? If so, the drummer really needs to have his own drum amp so he can set his own levels without clipping your sound equipment. Just like the guitarist and bassist need their own amps, the v-drummer does too.

Think of it like this: What if your bassist didn't have his own bass amp and he kept turning up the volume on his bass so he could hear himself - but it started clipping your monitors? That is no different than what your drummer is doing.

I ran sound from the stage in my former band for four years, so I know what you are going through. I finally had to tell my band members that if they turned their volume up higher after our sound check (from their amp or guitar), they may have to pay for new p.a. speaker baskets if they fried them due to clipping. I never had any problems after that. From that day forward they would tell me if they needed more monitor, and I would turn it up between songs.

Hope this helps. It's your gear man... don't let someone ruin it for you. Clipping will definitely destroy your speakers (which I'm sure you are already aware of).

Leave a comment:

• BarT
    replied
    It's not clear to me which outputs you're using from the TD-20. Master output(s) to PA mixer, and some other output direct to the drummer's powered monitor?

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Major Tom
    replied
    Also the NX750P volume is wide open. It plenty loud sometimes too loud.

Leave a comment:

• Major Tom
    replied
    No soundman mix from the stage and feeding separate lines not feasible without a soundman. The NX750P belongs to me which is what I use for his band and drum monitor mix, usually he like FOH mix with drums on top of mix. But he's clipping the **** out of my channel mixer when he starts tweaking the Roland mixer. I don't need a clipped signal sent to the NX750P so I usually turn the trim down on the mixer then he gets bent because he can't hear his self. I'm bent because of the hot signal he sending to me on the mixer. It why I'm asking should I just have him turn the sliders on the Roland mixer all the way up and maybe the master set to 2/3 and then set the gain.

Leave a comment:

• johncota
    replied
    Question: Is your drummer using his own personal monitor amp for his drums, or is he relying on the p.a. system monitors? He needs to have his own amplifier just like a guitarist, bassist, or keyboardist would. Is the Yorkville NX750P part of your p.a. system, or is he using it exclusively for drums? If it is the former, he needs to have his own amp/monitor speaker. If it is the latter, then can he just turn the Yorkville NX750P up higher?

Leave a comment:

• johncota
    replied
    I would recommend using the direct line outs for the kick drum and snare to send to your p.a. mixer in addition to the main output(s). That way the sound man can control how much kick and snare to put into your house mains, and your drummer can have the mix however he wants it for his monitor system.

Also, is he turning the main volume on his TD20 up past two-thirds of the way? If so, you could be dealing with clipping coming from his TD20. He should keep his master volume at less than two-thirds of the way and turn the volume on his monitor amp up higher.

Leave a comment:

• Major Tom
    started a topic TD20 on board mixer?

TD20 on board mixer?

Gotta bit of problem with the on board mixer when our drummer raises the individual sliders up, for example when he rasies the kick and snare a bit higher then the rest of the kit. It clips the PA mixer but whenhe lowers the master volume down he can't hear his self in the monitor (Yorkville NX750P). Because of the back line amps and etc... Does raising the sliders up effect the master volume out? because it does on my Peavey RQ2314 mixer we're using. Now my thinking is should I raise the sliders all the way up then set the gain on the PA mixer? would this solve the problem? according to our drummer he says that the individual does not effect the master volume out.But my mixer tells me different just trying to solve the clipping before he fries my 800$ wedge which I know he can't afford to replace. FWIW it also clips the wedge internal amp when he starts tweaking the sliders and he's not a set it forget type of drummer on the TD20.
Working...
X