Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Does my TD20 need repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my TD20 need repaired?

Today I noticed that when I use both of the main outputs on my TD20, only the right channel has any output. When I use the left output (mono) on its own, it works fine. But when I plug something into the right output, the left output goes dead.

This problem may have been caused when I was doing some recording yesterday. I had both main outputs running to my recording computer, and I accidentally stepped on the output cables, which pulled one of the cables out of the TD20.

This brings up a few questions that I would like to pose to you all:

1. If my TD20 needs repaired, how long does it usually take to get it back?

2. If my TD20 needs repaired, do I need to ship it to Roland, or do they have authorized service centers?

3. If this is a wire that needs re-soldered that was pulled loose, have any of you attempted to make a repair like this yourself?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I hate to ship this unit off to get it fixed because I don't have a backup.

Thanks!

Note: My digital output and my headphones output work fine on both stereo channels regardless of what is plugged into the mains, so the problem seems to be isolated to the main outputs.

Comment

Using the Roland US Service Center Locator, the authorized service center nearest to you is probably Spalding Audio‎ in Champaign, IL.

Spalding Audio‎
      1706 Garden Hills Dr
      Champaign, IL 61821
      (217) 356-9319

I would recommend calling them first. The turn around time varies depending on the workload of the specific repair facility, and the availability of parts (if needed). If you use an authorized service center or send your TD-20 to Roland, you will first need to obtain a service return authorization (RA) number from Roland. Call Customer Service at 323-890-3700. Customer Service is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm Pacific Standard Time.

*Note* Roland US will be closed from Wednesday December 31st, 2008 until Monday January 5th, 2009.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
        Using the Roland US Service Center Locator, the authorized service center nearest to you is probably Spalding Audio‎ in Champaign, IL.

Spalding Audio‎
        1706 Garden Hills Dr
        Champaign, IL 61821
        (217) 356-9319

I would recommend calling them first. The turn around time varies depending on the workload of the specific repair facility, and the availability of parts (if needed). If you use an authorized service center or send your TD-20 to Roland, you will first need to obtain a service return authorization (RA) number from Roland. Call Customer Service at 323-890-3700. Customer Service is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm Pacific Standard Time.

*Note* Roland US will be closed from Wednesday December 31st, 2008 until Monday January 5th, 2009.

Hope this helps!
        Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks!!

Comment

Well, if this was not a problem before your mishap with the cable and nothing else has been altered, it would seem to be a pretty sure thing that the module is damaged. I have made a short exploratory excursion into my module, and didn't get very far. It's pretty densely packed. Since my problem was not really serious (loose pot caused by a drop), I decided not to go further. Typically I have no problem diving into something like this, but I would not recommend it in this case.

I had my module in for warranty service, and a main board needed replacing, which had to be ordered and took about a month to be delivered. Since they did not have to disassemble the module to diagnose the problem, I asked if I could take the module with me and bring it back when the board arrived. They did not want to do this because if I decided to blow it off they would be stuck with a $1,000 part. I suggested they run an imprint of my credit card, which was satisfactory to them. So, you might be able to have the use of your module while they are waiting for parts. This, of course, only if you are within a reasonable drive of a licensed service center.
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Thanks Stick - that's what I was wondering, if the unit was user friendly on the inside. Doesn't sound like it is. Thanks for the advice!!!

Comment

Roland has one of the very best if not the best repair facility in electronics. They're inexpensive and very professional. You have nothing to worry about.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
              X