Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

My CY8 is ALIVE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CY8 is ALIVE!!

My CY8 has been Cross-talking/False-triggering for about 2 weeks now. But it has gotten to the point that if you put put fingers CLOSE (NOT touching) to the underside (where you would grab for choking) it triggers!! So if you just move your fingers closer then farther then closer it will get a couple of triggers, and most of them are nearly full velocity.

I have the CY8 set up as a right crash and when you are riding with your hand close to the CY8 you get a crash for free.

Anyone heard of this before? It is as if there is static build-up on the cymbal and when you get close it fires the piezo...

Phil.
    TD9-KX, VH-11, HPD-10, DW 5000 hardware

Rock Band 2 & Guitar Hero WT(Xbox), Midi Rocker

It seems that static build-up is the cause. While doing the groceries today I saw "Static Guard" in the laundry section and remembered how I used to use it in RC car racing on carpet with the old AM radios.

So I got a can and spayed on a very light layer top and bottom of the cymbals, and after a good session I didn't have single false trigger.

Living in the north east with our cold, dry weather and constant heating in the house, we often get static build-up (just ask my cats!). Seems the CY8 is also susceptible to this.

Later, Phil.
    TD9-KX, VH-11, HPD-10, DW 5000 hardware

Rock Band 2 & Guitar Hero WT(Xbox), Midi Rocker

Comment

heh, thats odd Phil, but pretty cool that you figured it out
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Whoa. I thought maybe your CY needed an exorcism.

Comment

It's alive, it's alive, it's alive!!!

Comment

This is one of the weirder V-Drum stories I have ever heard. If we had an archive, I would put it there.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't see the problem. This is a drummer's dream. Just wave your hand over your kit and it plays. Now jump back with your Merlin wand and make the brooms dance

Comment

Glad I found this thread, my CY-8 which I am using as a ride, started triggering yesterday a couple of times when I was playing the hi-hats, thought it was a bit strange and figured it was x-talk, but tonight I just finished playing a song and was just sitting there and TING, the bell fired off again, I'll get some static guard tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I agree, this is a weird one !!

Cheers

Comment

I've been getting something similar too, on the ride edge. Not quite at the stage I just have to give it a sharp look - I still have to make physical contact - but the merest caress gives me a full on result. Or if I manually wobble the pad around. Only the RD, though, never the CR1.

I'm in Johannesburg and I haven't noticed any static build up over the dry winter months. And it's getting warmer and less dry now and it's still happening. I have two cats and not a spark between us, not that kind of spark anyway.

Why just the ride pad if it's static? And surely static would discharge and you'd be fine for at least a few seconds? This can carry on intermittently for an entire song at times so you get a, to borrow the technical lingo from ToDoMax , ting-ting-TING-ting-TING-TING-TING-ting-TING and so on and on.

I'll hold off on the Static Guard, I think, until general consensus is reached.

And yeah, well spotted, post number 1. Been lurking for six months and couldn't force myself to do a formal introduction. Be relevant, that's my motto.

Comment

Hi styxson! Are you in Gauteng? Welkom! Good to see another south African. Allanjohn is an expat now in ozland. Why don't you do a formal introduction and post some pics of your kit? Happy drumming.
                    "To play without passion is inexcuseable"

DIY A-E conversion 6 piece
                    Alesis Trigger IO
                    DIY hi hat Controller
                    Superior 2.0

Comment

Dankie Audiopat,

Thanks for the welcome. I'll make an effort to do just that. A formal hello, that is.

Comment

It's strange, but does make some sense. PVC and vinyl plastics both readily absorb a negative charge. Human hands readily give up a negative charge. It's similar to the old science-class experiment with the glass rod & silk demonstrating static charge transfer.

I'm assuming the CY-8 is made of a vinyl plastic - that's what it looks like to me. Hard rubber is fairly neutral in this situation.

Comment

Ya'll might want to check your power source for adequate grounding. I had a similar problem years ago with a Smartrigger ride and found my outlet did not have a good ground. It would trigger at the touch of a hand and would actually mildly shock me if I touched it while barefoot.
                          chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by ToDaMax View Post
                            Glad I found this thread, my CY-8 which I am using as a ride, started triggering yesterday a couple of times when I was playing the hi-hats, thought it was a bit strange and figured it was x-talk, but tonight I just finished playing a song and was just sitting there and TING, the bell fired off again, I'll get some static guard tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I agree, this is a weird one !!
                            Not sure what happened, but my intermittent triggering on my CY-8 has gone. The only thing that has changed on my kit is the cymbals location on the rack.
                            Knock on wood

Comment

It could have been a faulty cable or even the connection. I have seen those 1/4" jacks act weird with guitars, so it could certainly do strange things with a cymbal.

Comment

Working...
                              X