Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Newbie trying rimshot w/ TD3 & PDX-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie trying rimshot w/ TD3 & PDX-8

Hi,

I've just started real drumming about 3 weeks ago (after getting hooked playing Rock Band - I know... don't laugh )
    Anyway, so I bought a TD3SW kit, which has the TD3 brain and a PDX-8 mesh snare.

I'm trying to do a rimshot, which I _think_ should be doable, according to the manual, by hitting the head and rim simultaneously. I am using kit #28 on the brain, and I do manage to hear different sounds: I can distinctively identify the sound made when I hit the head, when I hit the rim, and when I manage to hit both (I can confirm by looking at which LEDs light up on the brain). However, when I hit both the sound is almost like I hit a can of soup (boing!) - and I'm thinking "why would anyone want to us that in a groove?"

So I'm here thinking "yeah, I did it" but it really sounds wierd, and since I'm a newbie I have no clue what it's *supposed* to sound like...

I've looked on the net and found lots of samples from acoustic sets which do not match what I hear at all... I've also seen lots of questions/answers from folks who are having a hard time "triggering" it (which I don't think is my problem, but who knows, maybe it is).
    So what am I hearing? It's driving me crazy!

Drumming gurus: your help would be really appreciated.

Thanks, and happy new year!

-- Greg

Welcome!

You must be reading the TD-3 (module) manual which shows a rim shot being played on a rubber pad. Both the PDX-8 and TD-3KW manuals show a rim shot being played by striking the rim only. The PDX-8 snare is only intended to be capable of two distinct sounds, head and rim.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce.

I experimented a little bit more today and found out that to get the mystery sound I don't actually need to hit the rim and head simultaneously. All I have to do is hit the rim harder.

I don't know how to explain, but if don't hit it hard it makes some kind of "poc" sound, but if I go hard it's really like "boing!"... :-) - very reproducible!

It seems "out of context" however if I play it in a groove...

It seems like there is a threshold for the hit on the rim, because I was able to get different sounds from the rim if I hit soft vs hard on other kits as well.

-- Greg

Comment

I don't know what snare kit 28 uses as I have changed the default, but if it uses snare rim 1-4 those 4 have the velocity change where you hit it soft and it does the cross stick, or if you hit it hard it'll do the rim shot. It's all on page 69 of the manual. I just turn the sensitivity way up for the rim so it is pretty much just the rim shot unless I just tap the rim. Or you could just change the snare rim to a different one that doesn't use the velocity switch.

Comment

Yes, thanks Drumbum37. It does seem that Greg's "poc" is a cross stick sound and the "boing!" is a rim shot sound, as intended with those snare instrument settings. Also explained on pages 20/46 of the TD-3 manual.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks guys! That makes a lot of sense... I'm finally understanding better how the kit works with your pointers, and now I think I know what I'm triggering.

Now of course I gotta figure out when a "boing" sound would be appropriate... the lesson I'm following tells me to use it as an accent (notes marked with a ">" sign), but when I practice the grooves with that accent, it really sounds bad to my ear.

Maybe my kit isn't set properly or maybe I should be trying another kit number (or customize it) to play rock/alternative music?

-- Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbum37 View Post
              I don't know what snare kit 28 uses as I have changed the default, but if it uses snare rim 1-4 those 4 have the velocity change where you hit it soft and it does the cross stick, or if you hit it hard it'll do the rim shot. It's all on page 69 of the manual. I just turn the sensitivity way up for the rim so it is pretty much just the rim shot unless I just tap the rim. Or you could just change the snare rim to a different one that doesn't use the velocity switch.
              Kit 28 uses snare 3.

zgeggy, you could press the INST button, then hit the snare drum, and then cycle through the available sounds by using the + & - buttons. Unfortunately all 4 rim sounds sound like a boing to me, but there might be one you find more suitable.
              Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I think the best snare sound for rock is the number 7 "rock" snare (rim #8). It has a less obnoxious rim sound and is not velocity switching so you won't have to worry about the cross stick sound.

I think kit #2 has it and it's a great kit for the sound you're looking for.

Enjoy!
                TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to try your suggestions.

You guys rock!

-- Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X