Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Why the "L" End Of the Cable Into the Brain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the "L" End Of the Cable Into the Brain?

Every music store I've been to has set their V-kits up so the "L" end of the cables plug into the brain. Seeing how they did it, I did it the same way.

They sure seem to be squeezed in there pretty tight. On more than one occasion I've had one cable nudge another one out to the point that it was no longer getting a singlal.

Why do we plug the "L" end in at the brain? Does it really make a difference?

For the record, I'm about to wrap all my cables together, and I'm thinking of going with the straight end into the brain this time. I'd like to know if I should anticipate any problems before I go through all this trouble.

Thanks.

------------------
    Drooling Dog
    - Scott

I never heard or realized that there is a difference when changing the cable ends (if both ends are the same at least). So I don't know why they do this.
    Robert

Comment

I have the 'L' ends into the triggers . . . and I'm sure it's because that's how I saw it in a Roland diagram / manual (can't remember for certain though). . . . anyway - I've had no problems with it this way, in fact I think that with some pads (certainly thge CY-6) it would be difficult NOT to use the 'L' plug at the trigger end.

Just my 0.02
      Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I also put the L end into the pads. It's up to you. If the brain had all 12 inputs in a single row, then L ends would work best on both ends of the cable. The L is normally for strain relief. What ever you do, leave enough slack in the cable to alleviate pressure on the end of the cable. You end up with a short in the cable, or worse, a bad connection on the female end of the brain input. We just had to have the headphone input repaired on our Church TD-10 for this problem.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Most guys at music stores are GUITARISTS.
          Nuff said.
          The original Gig Pig.

Comment

The "L" ends are used at the triggers and the straight ends are for the brain. The idiot at the music store just didn't know what he was doing...(typical for music stores this day and age)

Comment

I always plugged the "L" end into the triggers. I never really thought about it other than that it made sense since there isn't any room between the plugins on the brain so the straights coming out seemed the right way.

Comment

From the PD-100/120 manuel,

"Connect the L-shaped plug of the included cable to the PD-100/120. This will prevent strain from being applied to the PD-100/120."

I knew it was in there somewhere.
                Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Not that the jacks will actually break if you do it the other way. They just fit better with the L-ends in the pads and the straight ends in the module.
                  Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Working...
                  X