Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Question: Recording to laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Recording to laptop?

Sorry if this is too basic of a question but I'm new to this. I have a TD-9SX kit & I'm tried recording to my lapto by connecting a single cable from one of the 2 output ports from the TD-9 into my laptops MIC input. So I have a stereo 1/4 cable that I plug to the brain & the other end is a 1/8 size. I used Windows Recorder function and when I played the recording it sounds like crap (a lot of static). When I try the same connecting my iPod into my laptop the recording sounds fine so I don't think it's the laptop.

What am I doing wrong here? Why would recording from my iPod work but when I try the drums it sounds like crap?
    My Gased Out TD9SX

sigpic

More pics at http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=115

So you are using a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo cable? I'm not familiar with the TD9 module but i just looked at a picture diagram of it.... it looks like what you should be using is a cable that has two mono 1/4" plugs at the TD9 end ( left & right outputs) and a single 1/8" stereo plug at the laptop end. Also check to be sure you do not have the volume of the TD9 turned up too high - that would definitely distort the sound. And check the recording levels on the laptop. I know that some mic inputs on laptops have a "mic" setting which boosts the input signal - you would want to turn that off. Ideally you should be using a line-in input rather than mic input but I know that most laptops only provide a combination mic/line jack.

Comment

Alright I changed things a bit. I connected from the TD-9 headphone out to my laptop's mic input & turned down the volume for the mic recording & checked that there was not boosting of the signal going. This has improved things but I still hear "white noise" and interference in the background.
      My Gased Out TD9SX

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by netsurfr View Post
        Alright I changed things a bit. I connected from the TD-9 headphone out to my laptop's mic input & turned down the volume for the mic recording & checked that there was not boosting of the signal going. This has improved things but I still hear "white noise" and interference in the background.
        Has your machine not got a Line-In??

If not, keep a look out for the USB soundcards. Small memory stick sized sound card with Line/Mic in and Speaker out...You can pick them up here in the UK for around 10 and would work much better than using the Mic in for recording a Line level signal...
        On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
        With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
        Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
        "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Sound recorded in Windows Recorder is really crap. I went down that path before to record my own practice. And i think it can only record for 1 minute. I'm currently using band-in-a-box. Much better audio quality. It may not suit your need. Maybe you can try the freeware Audacity.

Regarding the noise, is it interference from the HDD? (i.e. you could hear it when the HDD was seeking.) If it is, I'm not sure you can do much to it as i think it has something to do with the circuit design/combo. Maybe a different audio card will help? I'm not sure.

If it's much strong kind of "hum", it can be interference coming from the ground of the power supply. If you google for "ground lift", you should find heaps of info. (My engineering friend explained to me once how it happened. But the technical detail is beyond me.) Basically, the first thing you can try is to unground the power adaptor of your laptop. (i.e. leave the 3rd leg unplug.) That's what I do and It works for me.

p.s. I'm not an electrical or sound engineer. Try this at your own risk.
          My compact kit.

Comment

You need this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-U...95-i1169093.gc

Or, any decent audio interface. Unfortunately, stock sound cards in most (if not all) laptops and even desktop computers are not sufficient for recording live audio. Not only will you get the "white noise" and distortion you are talking about but also a lot of latency issues as well.

An external audio interface will act as both an optimal sound card as well as a recording interface. The user friendly recording software that comes with it is perfect for what you want to do.

Here is a thread where I explain it in more detail:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...439#post347439

Comment

Use a free multi-track recording program called Audacity...It works great in these situations.

It's a great introduction to recording. Great for simple demo's or just getting your tracks recorded.
              My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

Ok so I think it may be the laptop or sound card. I tried w/ a different (better) laptop & there's no whitenoise BUT that's a work laptop so I really can't use that one permanently.

Would one of those usb sound cards fix this?

I checked out Audacity. I can dowload and install but can software fix this or do I need the usb sound card AND Audacity?

Thanks!
                My Gased Out TD9SX

sigpic

Comment

I can get great sound with my $399 Acer laptop with its built in cheapo soundcard using the line-in and Audacity. No white noise. If you can't. then perhaps there is something up with your laptop. Maybe a USB sound card will fix it, maybe not. Audacity alone will probably not fix the problem, but I would try it before spending any additional cash. I exhaust all other options before I break out my wallet. Money is better spent on more drum gear...GAS attacks. I was just giving you a better free alternative to the Windows Recorder.

That being said...I do own an M-Audio external sound card and it is a whole lot more flexible.

Comment

Yeah my laptop is an older/cheaper one too. I'll try the Audacity route first and see what happens. Thanks!
                    My Gased Out TD9SX

sigpic

Comment

Well I tried using Audacity on that laptop & tweaked the audio settings a bit and VOILA! It works great now! No more static when I record. Now I need to get a splitter so I can run the cable from the TD-9 to the laptop & the headphones. That will be a lot cheaper than the external sound card.

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by LarsYouPutz View Post
                      I can get great sound with my $399 Acer laptop with its built in cheapo soundcard using the line-in and Audacity. No white noise. If you can't. then perhaps there is something up with your laptop. Maybe a USB sound card will fix it, maybe not. Audacity alone will probably not fix the problem, but I would try it before spending any additional cash. I exhaust all other options before I break out my wallet. Money is better spent on more drum gear...GAS attacks. I was just giving you a better free alternative to the Windows Recorder.

That being said...I do own an M-Audio external sound card and it is a whole lot more flexible.
                      My Gased Out TD9SX

sigpic

Comment

Glad it worked out for you!

Comment

Working...
                        X