Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Is my CY8 pad faulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my CY8 pad faulty?

Hi Guys,

First post here

A week ago I have purchased a Roland TD9s kit and everything seemed to be working fine but today I started noticing something weird with the crash cymbal.

Every once a while it loses all velocity sensitivity and registers every hit as full impact. Also when that happens I can trigger crashes just by squeezing the cymbal choke area. Needless to say this is very annoying. Problem seems to kinda go away when I restart the kit but happens again after a while.

Any idea what might be causing this? I would like to go get whatever responsible replaced before the store grace period runs out.

Thanks so much in advance.

Originally posted by SheepFactory View Post
    Hi Guys,

First post here

A week ago I have purchased a Roland TD9s kit and everything seemed to be working fine but today I started noticing something weird with the crash cymbal.

Every once a while it loses all velocity sensitivity and registers every hit as full impact. Also when that happens I can trigger crashes just by squeezing the cymbal choke area. Needless to say this is very annoying. Problem seems to kinda go away when I restart the kit but happens again after a while.

Any idea what might be causing this? I would like to go get whatever responsible replaced before the store grace period runs out.

Thanks so much in advance.
    I had something similar happen to my CY6. First it was caused by the internal switch not sticking properly to the cymbal, so before I started playing I would squeeze down on it. Then when that stopped working for me, I notice small cracks in the plastic (under side) coming out from the edge switch area. Hitting or squeezing the cymbal the wrong way made it trigger when it wasn't meant to. I ended up buying a new one. However, I do not know if this is the problem with yours. You might want to check the input jack on the cymbal to see if maybe the solder connections cracked through. Just a thought.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

What is the life expentancy of these cymbals by the way? I m hoping I wont have to spent 150$ every two months.

Comment

What is the life expentancy of these cymbals by the way? I m hoping I wont have to spent 150$ every two months.
        Much longer than two months although GAS might have you spending that much easily.
        I would try the cymbal in a different input to make sure it is the problem...don't know your set-up but try and swap it with the same type of pad if possible...you might have to re-arrange instruments and pad type in the module. A factory re-set might be helpful if the pad is not clearly at fault.
        I have 3 CY8's and except for occasional mistriggers I have had no problems for almost 4 years on two of them (the other is newer).
        chris :D

Comment

I keep seeing GAS mentioned a lot in this site, what does it mean exactly?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Comment

GAS=Gear Acquistion Syndrome...once you fill the inputs on one module you need another to accomodate the extra pads you must buy...unlike Global Warming this is real and uncurable...treatment centers such as RMCAudio, BPM, Kraft Music, Musician's Friend and Musician's Buy, to name but a few, are your only hope to help cope with this insidious disease.

BTW...welcome aboard and whatever you do...don't look at Jman's, Michael Render's, Superpuss', or Computerman's kits or you will be forever doomed to a life full of GAS...like me
            chris :D

Comment

oh god I just saw Superpuss's kit. Wow....

Yea now I think I have GAS too

Comment

Fight it man, fight it. This place is full of enablers. It's like being a recovering alchoholic and spending time in a bar where everybody's telling you "just have one, it won't hurt".

GAS doesn't have to be like the Dark Side of the Force. It doesn't have to forever rule your destiny. I myself am a survivor.

As for your CY-8, there are some old threads about literally messaging the cymbal in order to move something around, I don't remember.

If you can't fix it, replace it with a Yamaha PCY series. Far, far better all-rubber ecymbal.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Also, make sure the connection is ALL the way into the cymbal. Sometimes it really needs to be pushed in hard to completely "click" into place. As was mentioned, moving it to a different input may rule out a connection problem.

If all else fails, send it off to Roland. I had to do this with one of the CY-8s I got with the TD-9 kit. After a month or so, it developed a dead spot in the center of the edge, and Roland sent a new one.
                  Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                    As for your CY-8, there are some old threads about literally messaging the cymbal in order to move something around, I don't remember.

If you can't fix it, replace it with a Yamaha PCY series. Far, far better all-rubber ecymbal.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

WORD!

CY8 issues that you mentioned have been documented here many times over.

-Grog is 100% right. Check into the Yamaha PCY130s or newer pcy135. Much better than a CY8 in my (and lots of other's) opinions!!!

E
                    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Super thanks for all the help guys.

Yea the Cy8 is my least favorite thing about the kit so far. Definitely looking into replacing them as soon as I can.

Comment

Super thanks for all the help guys.

Yea the Cy8 is my least favorite thing about the kit so far. Definitely looking into replacing them as soon as I can.
                        Go with CY14's or Yamaha PCY135 (PCY130s if you can still find them). The Yammies are equivalent to the CY14, work out of box with no mods, but cheaper! (Grog loves the Yammies, me too!.. Uh he loves the Yammies I mean..and so do I. I can't confirm or deny if he loves me.. LOL)

E
                        - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X