Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Once and for all Hotspots

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick74
    replied
    Originally posted by monospace View Post
    Here's a quick video I put together to illustrate my settings. I made every effort to play as consistently as possible.

You can get the same result using the SD3 vel curve (or vel remapping within a capable DAW or with a capable plugin). You won't need 2 curves and the module curve can be default (linear).

Leave a comment:

• monospace
    replied
    Here's a quick video I put together to illustrate my settings. I made every effort to play as consistently as possible.

Leave a comment:

• monospace
    replied
    Originally posted by Animalglx View Post

Are you sure it's not the other way around?? With an exp curve you make a signal hotter, with a log curve you 'tame' the signal.
    That depends on where exactly on the curve you are measuring. A log curve will tame loud hits, but will increase soft hits. An exp curve will do the inverse.

However!

In this case, the idea is to make the hotspot on the pad bigger. So when you apply a log on the trigger pad, soft hits translate to higher velocity, which has the effect of masking the high velocity from the hotspot by making the transition to it less pronounced.

In the software, you then apply an exp curve to make the incoming higher velocities from those softer hits (which are now louder because of the log curve you applied!) lower again. Again, you are not eliminating the hotspot. All you're doing is making the transition much less obvious. Of course you are sacrificing a little bit of the dynamic range, but you can compensate for this by decreasing the pad sensitivity, which will —counter-intuitively— increase the dynamic range.

It's easy to try, and if you don't like the result, it's equally easy to revert.
    Last edited by monospace; 07-26-20, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Animalglx
    replied
    Originally posted by monospace View Post
    log curve on my pad, I make its entire response “hotter”, in effect making the hotspot “larger”, and so, less noticeable.
    By drawing an exp curve in the software, I tame that hot incoming signal back down and make it more linear.
    Are you sure it's not the other way around?? With an exp curve you make a signal hotter, with a log curve you 'tame' the signal.

Leave a comment:

• monospace
    replied
    The two curves actually do not eliminate each other, because one is on the module, and the other is in software. By using a strong log curve on my pad, I make its entire response “hotter”, in effect making the hotspot “larger”, and so, less noticeable.
    By drawing an exp curve in the software, I tame that hot incoming signal back down and make it more linear.
    And reducing the overall sensitivity makes the pad more in line with the rest of the kit.
    Obviously this will not work if you only use the module sounds.

You can easily try this yourself and observe the result. It does not eliminate the hotspot, but it makes it much less obvious.

Suggesting different hardware isn’t really useful though. Some of us can’t afford to and have to make do with the gear we have.

Leave a comment:

• Nick74
    replied
    Originally posted by Kirk Rummelhoff View Post
    Thanks for posting this "one and done"! I have a TD-25 KV and the snare hot spot is annoying. I have done a few things to improve it, put it is still a problem.

I am going to dig into the links provided and see what I can do.
    Drawing one curve and then again the opposite curve makes no sense: it eliminates each other . Of course you can set certain dynamic translations in order to "fix" hotspotting but this will only work if you can relinquish a wide dynamic range. Hotspotting is of course not fixed with a dynamics curve. Tip: Try a Roland TD27/50 when using single mid triggers: on these new modules the internally fixed hotspotting is kind of a game changer.

Leave a comment:

• monospace
    replied
    If you're using a VST, especially Superior Drummer, and a Roland module, try this.

On the module, set the sensitivity for the pad really low (4 or 5). Set the velocity curve to LOG2.
    On your VST, if it has velocity curves, draw the opposite curve, i.e. an exponential curve.

What this does is make your hotspot "bigger", by using a logarithmic curve. You then compensate for this in the software by using an exponential curve and decreasing the sensitivity. This made quite a dramatic difference for me.

Leave a comment:

• Kirk Rummelhoff
    replied
    Thanks for posting this "one and done"! I have a TD-25 KV and the snare hot spot is annoying. I have done a few things to improve it, put it is still a problem.

I am going to dig into the links provided and see what I can do.

Leave a comment:

• skhan007
    replied
    I have been toying around with my settings for the ATV aD5 and found that these parameters dramatically reduce hotspots on my Tom 1, Tom 2, and floor Tom (all Roland PD with center- mounted cones). I've also REALLY tightened those mesh heads, which helped a lot.

The only downside that I can see is reducing the sensitivity makes the toms less likely to pick up subtle hits or the stick-drop-bounce thing. For my purposes this is fine and as you can see from the graph on the left side, my hardest hits are not at the top range (ff).
    Last edited by skhan007; 04-14-18, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WillemV
    replied
    Definitely fixed in the TD-50.

Leave a comment:

• Zone47
    replied
    For me it was running a 4th tom on a TD12 module, so I had to use Aux 1 and it was set to cymbal by default. Once I set it to PD120 pad, no more hot spot!

Leave a comment:

• fulrmr(Daniel)
    replied
    Originally posted by bud7h4 View Post
    I've all but eliminated the hotspots on the toms, but the snare has proved more difficult. Using curve, compression and about 1.5 scan time I've made the hot spot a smaller area, but when it is hit, it's as hot and loud as ever.
    keep at it...it's do-able.

Leave a comment:

• bud7h4
    replied
    I've all but eliminated the hotspots on the toms, but the snare has proved more difficult. Using curve, compression and about 1.5 scan time I've made the hot spot a smaller area, but when it is hit, it's as hot and loud as ever.

Leave a comment:

• Tazed
    replied
    Why stuff around with patches? You can dial out the hotspot with a little research. It's well documented here...
    And, yes, I would think (as Jman experienced) that it would stuff PS up.
    PS works by reading the amplitude of the first half of the waveform over time from the head piezo. The further from the centre, the waveform changes shape from a centre-strike waveform.
    Place anything on the head that alters the head piezo waveform, and the module will misinterpret the waveform as a change in head strike position.
    The patch will cut down the flex of the head (thereby varying the signal from the piezo), most likely making the module think the head was struck further from the centre.
    It's relative, according to your adjustments, but if you want to remove a hot-spot, curve and compression work best...

Leave a comment:

• bud7h4
    replied
    That's good to know Jman, thanks! I would think the diameter of the patch makes a difference. Maybe the material/ thickness too? The evens patch looks much larger than the small rubber patch I ordered today. These are really small, barely larger than a thumb print. Exactly what I was hoping to find, just big enough to dampen the hot spot. I'll definately post the results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X