Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Once and for all Hotspots

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jammin717.

Ratio on my TD-10exp can't go above 1:1 and it doesn't have "Hold".

Without much knowledge in sound engineering, my uneducated guess is a ratio above 1:1 is expanding, the opposite of compressing. It's interesting that expand actually reduces hotspot. Can someone more knowledgeable in sound engineering explain this?
    My compact kit.

Comment

Ok, Found this explanation at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/news/9903_111/ :

Q2.5 What is (upward) expansion?

[email protected] (Marc LaFleur) writes:

Upward expansion is the inverse of compression. Where compression decreases excessive peaks over a threshold, upward expansion decreases excessive troughs below a threshold. As the signal falls below a preset lower threshold, the gain is scaled "upward" by the set ratio (e.g. an input signal falling below the threshold by 10dB would be boosted to 5dB below the threshold with a ratio of 2:1).
      My compact kit.

Comment

i really dont know too much about making the correct compression settings but am learning as i go along. my take of what i was experiencing was that with the compression set incorrectly, my case set on limiter when playing around and away from the hotspot, it was compressing too much that when i hit the hotspot right on the trigger cone, the sound triggering hotter than away from the cone creating the hot spot
        but still sounding very compressed, a very undisired sound. setting it on expand is like expanding the sound making it sound fuller no matter where i hit the drum but retaining the dynamics while hitting softly then hard. in a nutshell, better posisional sensing and no hotspot. sorry i am not very good at explaining this but it was all the adjustment i needed to get rid of the hot spot. being very picky, i am very happy with my snare sound live. the snare i am using is on the tdw 20 king wood snare which with the right settings sounds like troy luketta tesla psychotic supper.
        hopfully someone with a td 10exp would be able to chime in and help you.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Can someone tell me what exactly a "hot spot" is?

Comment

sciomako: Ratio's above 1:1 are not expansive, they are limiting. Think of it this way, once the threshold is passed, the compressor allows only 1db of signal level increase at the output, for every 4 db in input signal level rise above the threshold setting. It would appear that the exp TD-10 does not have the capability to "expand" (I'm looking at the manual now, page 91). On page 17 of the TDW-1 manual, it talks about "improved compressor" but I also fail to see that it has the same capabilities as the TD-20 in terms of "expansion". I could be wrong and hope I'm wrong. Time to persuse the TD-20's manual.

UPDATE: I'm gonna go start a different thread on this.
            Here's the update link: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46761

tdblanchard: Go to Teh Google and type in

vdrums forum hotspot

first hit answers all.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            Last edited by grog; 10-13-09, 01:59 PM.
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post

tdblanchard: Go to Teh Google and type in

vdrums forum hotspot

first hit answers all.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
              The first hit basically is a thread much like this one.
              Is a "hot spot" just a spot on the head that is louder than the rest?

I thought it might have something to do with an issue I'm having with the rimshot being triggered when you hit the head in a specific place.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                sciomako: Ratio's above 1:1 are not expansive, they are limiting.
                Probably I used the wrong terminology. Maybe I should've referred to it as below 1:1? What I meant is going to 2:1 instead of 1:2. (i.e. the slope of the gain curve (or line) is greater than 1.) TD-10exp doesn't allow ratio 2:1, 4:1, etc.
                My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by tdblanchard View Post
                  The first hit basically is a thread much like this one.
                  Is a "hot spot" just a spot on the head that is louder than the rest?

I thought it might have something to do with an issue I'm having with the rimshot being triggered when you hit the head in a specific place.
                  If you get rimshot sound when hitting the head, it's a crosstalk issue. From the top of my head, there's a rim sensitivity setting you can adjust.

The infamous hotspot refers to the location (a singularity!) at which the sensor is located. It's usually at the centre. Because of this, the sensitivity at the centre is orders of magnitude higher than the rest of the head. As reported on this forum, the issue is both pad and module dependent.
                  My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                    If you get rimshot sound when hitting the head, it's a crosstalk issue. From the top of my head, there's a rim sensitivity setting you can adjust.

The infamous hotspot refers to the location (a singularity!) at which the sensor is located. It's usually at the centre. Because of this, the sensitivity at the centre is orders of magnitude higher than the rest of the head. As reported on this forum, the issue is both pad and module dependent.
                    Thanks.
                    Yeah, I'm just getting into the whole world of e-drums so please pardon my newbieness

Comment

Newbie Too

Thanks for asking, I'm just trying to figure this out too. I played my set at church last night and I need to make a lot of adjustments. I need to learn quick!

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                        I believe crosstallk is when a cymbal sounds when you hit a nearby tom, or simialr...getting a rimshot when hitting a head is more likely caused by hitting the head with the point of the drumstick while simultaneously hitting the rim with the shoulder of the stick, which the module will read as a rimshot...but the rim sensitivity (rather than crosstalk sensitivity) might help..
                        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by rdrennan View Post
                          Thanks for asking, I'm just trying to figure this out too. I played my set at church last night and I need to make a lot of adjustments. I need to learn quick!
                          i here ya there, ive been playing my td 20 kit with headphones for about 3 years and then put together a diy kit for church so that i could leave my other kit at home. i did most of the editing at home for the diy kit but when i set them up at church. i found i had alot of editing to do playing them thru a pa. hot spots and all. i had to grin and bear it till i got it right and boy does it sound good now. makes alot of difference from phones to pa.
                          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Hi jammin777,

Did you get more hotspot at the church with the PA? I'm surprised that it did.

I have a hypothesis that hotspot is exacerbated when the equipments in the downstream (e.g. the headphone) can't handle the dynamic range. So, I would expect a PA at church would cope with the DR much better than a headphone...
                            My compact kit.

Comment

yes, to me it was just more noticable. but also had to do other editing such as muffle, tom depth and such, the toms i chose with headphones sounded great with alot of attack with the phones, but thru a pa they sounded thin.
                              i think most people would agree that changes from headphones to pa would require some editing. this is one big reason why i like the fact the td 20 has the cf card feature. i have saved sounds for the church kit and saved sounds for the home kit.

Comment

To think about "standard" compression and expansion.

Go there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression

Comment

Working...
                                X