Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

This forum is for soft/hardware technical questions & discussion only! Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Once and for all Hotspots

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once and for all Hotspots

The most common frustration with edrums is the snare "hotspot". It makes no difference which module you're using, old or new, bottom or top end, almost everybody runs into this problem when using a mesh pad for a snare. It's causes can be just physical (the pad itself) or modular (settings, sample selection) or a combination of both. It can be maddingly tough to fix, so much so that some people have simply given up on edrums. As such, it's one of the most frequently asked questions here. The topic has been discussed at great length over the years and many people have figured out ways to eliminate the dreaded hotspot. What follows are various threads that provide the most information to enable you to get rid of the hotspot.

Start with this one:
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...ot-spots-again

Yes, it's long but, it's the most exhaustive look at hotspots so take some time to read through the entire thing (posts 31, 38, 43, 46, 54, 58, 77, 80, 84, 87, 94 and 107 provide the most immediate help). More importantly, if your hotspot is modular in nature, this thread has extensive settings you can try. Now, these settings for for the exp TD-10 module but, most of these settings will work on other modules. What's more, this thread has a great look at compression, another useful tool not only for hotspots but for other audio issues often encountered by edrummers.

More background on fixing it for the exp TD-10:
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...blem-td-10-exp

For a perspective on the differences in hardware brands on the hotspot:
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...830-harts-pads

For a discussion on settings to eliminate the hotspot on a TD-9:
    https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...-a-pd-105-td-9

The TD-9 thread references a couple of mechanical things you can do to maybe, repeat, maybe, get rid of the hotspot. It also reinforces the first mechanical thing you check: the pad's cone. Worn out (or wearing out) cones and head tensioning are often the first culprit.

UPDATE ON THE TD-9:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=532010
    Lots of discussion, some ideas to try. Sensitivity reduction from 8 to 5 seems your best bet with Roland pads on a TD-9.
    (Note: the above link no longer works since the migration to software. I can't find the thread via the friggin search engine so if anybody can figure out which one it is, please let us know.)

To summarize:

1) Check head tensioning on your pad. It needs to be tight. Some mesh pads are more susceptible to hot spots. Harts seem less than Pintech or Roland but that's just been in my experience. Don't let brands drive what you do here. If you have or like whatever mesh snare you have, stick with it. UPDATE: Member Tazed recomments the following: Pull the head off, then completely re-seated the head, then very, very carefully tensioned it and went tight, almost to the point where I thought 'I'm over doing this...'. Result. The tension lifted the head off the sensor quite a bit, and the hot spot was reduced to almost nothing.

2) Check the cone on your pad. Worn out cones cause hotspots. Roland, Hart and Pintech sell replacement foam.

3) Change the actual snare sample and see if that changes the hotspot dynamics or gets rid of it entirely.

4) If all the snare samples you like have a hotspot and you've eliminated the foam and head tensioning as the culprit, dive into settings on the module. Go to the first thread listed and see what settings listed there are on your module and start tweaking.

5) Live happily ever after!

UPDATE: Related link if you have a TD-20:

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...miter-expander

This deals with a preset Compressor setting on the TD-20. If you have an older module, there are no individual settings that will allow you to duplicate this. Try the preset and settings given in the above link and see if that helps. If not, plow thru all the info in the lead post on this Sticky.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

Last edited by grog; 08-17-16, 12:36 PM.
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Well done, Grog, good work. Perhaps we should have a whole forum dedicated to "Once and for all..." threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaledale View Post
      Well done, Grog, good work. Perhaps we should have a whole forum dedicated to "Once and for all..." threads.
      headphones would be a favourite...no wait, we already have a thread entitled so, and it doesnt stop people....
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Nicely done Grog...now which amp do I buy to eliminate the hotspots?
        chris :D

Comment

... or which hotspot should I beat to really test out that p/a.....

Comment

Grog,

I love this "Once and for all" series!
            My compact kit.

Comment

I got hot spot on my brand new PD-125 with TD-10 exp.

- The PD-125 is brand new, so this rules out deteriorated cone, right?
              - I think my mesh tension is good.
              - I've tried the sample and settings suggested by gb. But the hot spot is there.

I'm not sure what's next now.
              My compact kit.

Comment

i agree with grog on his 1st post. compression settings plays a big factor.
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

sciomako:

Try using different kits and different snares. It also can make a big difference.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks grog.

Yeah, I know. I got hotspot with "TDW-1" and "Stage", but not with "Ballad". But the snare in Ballad sounds very "dirty".

It seems that a very big Release (in compression) will make the hotspot much less obvious. But since there are infinite combinations of settings, for someone like me who knows nothing about sound engineering, it's going to take forever to find the best combination.
                    My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                      Thanks grog.

Yeah, I know. I got hotspot with "TDW-1" and "Stage", but not with "Ballad". But the snare in Ballad sounds very "dirty".

It seems that a very big Release (in compression) will make the hotspot much less obvious. But since there are infinite combinations of settings, for someone like me who knows nothing about sound engineering, it's going to take forever to find the best combination.
                      not sure of the td 10 compression settings but the the td 20 all i did was changed the type from limiter to expand and the hot spot went away not to mention the snare sounded much better and fuller. to me it is the most disirable setting for snare drums
                      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                          not sure of the td 10 compression settings but the the td 20 all i did was changed the type from limiter to expand and the hot spot went away not to mention the snare sounded much better and fuller. to me it is the most disirable setting for snare drums
                          That's interesting. Never thought of that. Let me try it tonight. Thanks
                          My compact kit.

Comment

Hi jammin777,

There isn't an "expand" compression setting on TD-10exp.

Does anyone know how the "Expand" setting corresponds to the standard parameters (threshold, attack, release and ratio)?
                            My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                              Hi jammin777,

There isn't an "expand" compression setting on TD-10exp.

Does anyone know how the "Expand" setting corresponds to the standard parameters (threshold, attack, release and ratio)?
                              the expand setting on my td 20 is:
                              gain +4
                              threshold -12
                              ratio 0.7:1

attack 20
                              hold 50
                              release 40

hope this helps
                              on the td 20 there is a choise of compressions such as limiter, crush, soft 1, soft 2, hard 1, hard 2, and expand. mine is on expand. i dont know anything about the td 10 but wish i did so that i could be of greater help.

Comment

Working...
                              X