Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

cons of the td8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cons of the td8

Im just about to purchase the td8 module, can any one tell me the cons about owning one? What can you tell me now that I will discover in the future that sucks about it. I already know that its not expandable and there are limited trigger inputs. Is it worth the money or is there another module out there with more bang for the buck. Also are there any glitches with using the td8 with a hart kit?
    rs

If you like the sounds and can live with the Hart pads, just buy it and have fun. It is a good module and I can't imagine a module for the same price. The Yamaha DTXTreme, Clavia ddrum4 and Roland TD-10 all are more expensive. The Yamaha DTXPress is in another price/quality range.

Almost all modules have a limited number of inputs if you want to connect 4 toms, bass, snare, hi-hat and six cymbals.
    Robert

Comment

I have the TD-8 and I think its a killer piece of gear. There's just simply too much to like about it for me to ever think I made a bad purchase. Having said that, here are the things that are currently pissing me off about it: auxiliary output assignments are global (meaning that you can't store which pad or pads are routed to an outboard effects unit instead of the main outs on a kit-by-kit basis), bulk dumping and loading the TD-8's kits, songs, and patterns doesn't appear to work with a MIDI data filer (mine anyway--speaking of which, could someone PLEASE answer my topic post about this, I could really use the help), and, finally, be aware that if you're triggering your TD-8 with a sequencer and also playing the pads at the same time, the TD-8 will not accept program change commands from your sequencer meant to change the number of the kit being used. You can fix this, but then the sequencer-triggered sounds won't play. I love my TD-8, I'm just not IN love with it (chuckle)....Hope this helps!
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000049.html

(hehehe)
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

The only two things I was diappointed with on the TD-8 is the snares. Out of about 199 or whatever there is only one I like, and that is the Jazz snare.
          And also I think the crash sounds are very poor. Splashes, Rides and chinas are excellent.
          I don't think people take in to consideration, me included, that if you play live, you'll have to spend quite a bit on monitoring the V's.

Comment

I only use the vintage snare myself

and only the JAZZ hihate

lots of different bass drums..

I like the maple toms...

what is every one elses favorite TD8 sounds?

I guess my favorite bass drum is the sandbag one

Comment

The thing I dislike about the TD-8 is the hardware design. I don't like the sliders and how the are assigned. I don't like the power supply and how big it is. But as far as the sounds and the editing it's great!

Comment

My biggest complaint about the TD-8 is the quality of the audio out. Sure, the sounds and feel are great, but if the only sound you can get out of the box is hissy and weak it somewhat defeats the purpose.

If the TD-10 has worse output quality than the TD-8, I shudder to think how bad it sounds.

C'mon Roland! This is gear for professionalls; give us professional quality audio! At the bare minimum, there should be balanced outputs. Absolutely no reason not to use them. Even my $300 Pod has balanced outs!!

Ideally there should be digital output as well. Let me use my own a/d converters if you don't want to provide quality ones!!

An ADAT or TDIF digital out interface would be heaven!

This is a big enough deal that I would bite the bullet and purchase a new module if it had decent output...

Comment

I think you should compare TD-8 with TD-10+TDW1 'cause without it, it's not worth the money !!!
                  I recently purchased TD-8 and I still think
                  that is the best buy for what is giving !!!
                  --------------------------------------------

Check again : TD10 goes with TDW1 or else get
                  TD-8 .........

Comment

BOINGO RULES!

Comment

The same reasoning I now use with computers - Buy something decent (which the TD-8 is if you want to E-drum), and keep the extra grand or so which you can spend for when technology advances a bunch of steps instead of one or two.

Comment

Right on. In my case, I bought my TD-8 to replace my hybrid D-4/TMX system, automatically assuming that this new and much-ballyhooed module couldn't POSSIBLY be inferior to what it was replacing in any way, shape, or form. Well, as I mentioned in my previous post on this thread, I was wrong. No matter how insignificant the feature is, there is absolutely NO excuse for any manufacturer to push a product that is missing features found on older and "inferior" units that the new product is supposed to be drop-kicking out of the marketplace. Bottom line: going forward little by little is okay as long as you don't EVER go backwards........
                        TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:
                          BOINGO RULES!

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited July 02, 2001).]
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Christos:
                            I think you should compare TD-8 with TD-10+TDW1
                            Makes the gap between the 2 as long as prices are concerned even larger
                            Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rds1228:
                              Is it worth the money or is there another module out there with more bang for the buck. Also are there any glitches with using the td8 with a hart kit?
                              I use a TD8 with my Harts and love it. The TD10 wasn't worth the extra money for me for the few extra things it could do. The TD8 had everything that I needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X