Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Convert PD-120 to KD-120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert PD-120 to KD-120?

Hi all, I saw a post a few months back on converting a 12" Roland PD-120 to a KD-120 upright kick.. After several searches on this site, I can't locate the post. Was it deleted? I've also searched Google for general info and can't find anything on this either..

Does anyone know who posted this and if it worked well? I'm thinking of converting 2 of my PD-120's over to upright kicks if it's feasible, so I can get a more normal feel. That's the weakest part of my V-drumming.. On an acoustic set, my kick playing is fine.. I have a pair of DW 7000 pedals btw.. I think they could use weights on the beater shafts and they might feel better on my KD-7's.. but still, can ya help a brutha out?
    Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Cool, just read both of them, thanks!

What happened to the post with the photos that looked similiar to a KD-120 though?

That was actually what I was thinking of.. Thanks again, cya!
    Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

DIY

Just make one yourself!

Groet, Cas

http://drumstokje.bleuh.net/bassvoorkant.jpg
      DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Hey Caspar, thanks for the pic.. I remember seeing yours a little while back, too.. Are you still happy with the results? The design looks basically like the Roland/Hart upright kicks.. The design looks good. Is it tough to pack up or do you not move yours? Does it seem fragile at all, or is it pretty solid?

My main concerns if I convert my pd-120's over is that the drums will hold up and won't need to be baby'd, and I can transport them (relatively) easily.

Comment

I'm not satisfied with the stability. I'm going to add two more legs and than it must be more steady.
          For playing, I'm very happy! I can use my old doublebass pedal now and the noise is reduced

The only thing fragile was the part which I intented for the basspedal to attach to. So I removed it!

I haven't transported it so can't tell you about that...But it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Groet, Cas

Comment

4 legs? that's starting to sound kinda bulky. Do you have a newer picture? The Hart upright kicks use 2 legs and look pretty solid, but I've never seen one up close to know for sure.

Comment

I'm planning to add the two legs....no new pics yet!
              Well, the KD120 has four legs too....When I make them all adjustable they won't take any place when transporting!

Comment

That sounds good.. post pics when you get it done!!

Comment

Here's another idea.. Instead of mounting the pad(s) to the rack and hanging them, what about mounting them pointing up like a rocket, with the clamp near the floor? I haven't held this up next to a kick pedal to see how they match up, but would there be a way to attach it using the eyebolt and wingnut mount already on the pad, to attach it down low? That way it could be easily disconnected, I would think.. But I wonder how much kicking the mount could take before it might wear out? It would seem there'd be more force in a larger beat than in a stick, as far as shaking the pad goes.. Anyone tried this?

Comment

Harlock,

How does the KD-80 differ from the KD-120 (other than size).

I got one and wonder if it is reinforced like the KD-120 is.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Harlock, it's actually accumulated since starting with edrums in Jan 1991.. The first VPro was 4 years ago.. Then most of my additional stuff came in the past 2 months with some incredible deals I got.. I've been known to only spend money when something is a great deal.. I'm getting by just fine with my KD7's, just thinking since I have the 'extra' pd-120's, it might be cool to convert them over.. But I don't really have extra cash to justify replacing an item that works perfectly, you know?

On the same note, I've had the same Logitech Mouseman for like 4 1/2 years now.. I'd *like* to get an optical mouse, but I don't really wanna just stop using this one until it dies, which will prolly be never at this rate.. I'm stubborn I guess..

Comment

Where is that kd-120 conversion post?

Hello,
                        I read your question, and i too would like to convert my 120 drum to a kick drum. Can you tell me the original post?

Thanks!

Bob
                        Clinton, CT
                        Roland V Drum Sessions Kit TD-20
                        Roland TDA 700 Amp
                        Roland PM3 Monitor
                        Tama "Iron Cobra" Double Kick Pedal
                        Vic Firth Sticks--"Dave Weckl" Model

http://www.skycamphotos.com

Comment

Hey Mick,

Yeah definately I think it would be a cool idea. Though over the past few days I've been trying to mount all of my pd100's and 120's on my rack, as a snare and toms. I'll see how it goes, but it would be good to know of a RELIABLE way to mount the pad upright. I don't want something I can't depend on, for gigs, studio work, etc..

Anyone?

Comment

Referring to converting a PD-120 to a KD-120 basically.. Not sure if he meant my original post, or THE first one though..

Comment

PD-120 as KD-120

I have done this on my set as well, and the pad appears to be holding up fine.

I've mounted mine from the cross bar off to the right. The bottom of the drum had quite a bit of freeplay from being suspended from the tom mount, so I clamped it in place using an old-style Roland cymbal holder (the hatching type that allows you to adjust the angle of the clamped item from the tube (came with MDS-11 stand)) mounted to a second small tube hooked to the bottom of the front right leg of the V-Pro set. The small tube I'm referring to is what is shown in the pictures as holding the drum module; places like Drumbalaya have spares, I'm sure. The right pedal is not clamped to anything (yet); it is held to the carpet by two pointed bolts (DW5000 double pedal). I've toyed around with the idea of using a Tama or Gibraltar tom mount angled to the clamp of the pedal, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X