Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Isolation problem, any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation problem, any thoughts?

Hello
    I have a V-Custom drum set. I live in the second floor of an apartment complex. My neighbors downstairs comment that they can listen to the pounding/vibrations produced when I play. They say it's not too bad, but it's enough to keep me from playing late at night. Any suggestions on how I can minimize the pounding/vibration effects?
    I've looked at some pro solutions like using "Platfoam" from Auralex. That seems to be a little expensive for what I need. Any ideas on something that might work and is not that expensive.

Thanks
    Mazacote

First of all: use a thick carpet. Helps a lot
    Also let the curtains in the room.

Have you ever tried making a bass drum beater from a tennis ball? I have. It plays a little bouncy but makes less noise than all hard felt, plastic and wood beaters.
    Robert

Comment

I had the same problem, here is my solution. (It may or may not work depending on the floors already in your apartment)

I bougt 4 panels of foam from Home Depot used for weightroom/workshop floors. They intercomnnect and do a great job of diffusing the vibrations on the V-Custom.

I hope this helps!
      V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

I think a "Platfoam" is the only thing that works

Comment

Do you use a KD-7 or a KD-120?
          Music was my first love...

Comment

I use the KD-120.
            Thanks

Mazacote

Comment

I had the same problem and asked for a solution on this board. The solution which came back was to construct a floor on old car tires. Quite an enterprise to build.

I tried the following a few weeks ago. In the Netherlands in the playgrounds there are placed a kind of soft tiles under the climbing frames and other stuf for the kids. I got such a tile, sawed it in two (they are quit large) and placed it under the hi-hat and bass pedals. My neighbours are happy with it.

Ronald

Comment

Working...
              X