Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Pd-80r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pd-80r

Hi all,

I've seen and read many posts on here about the infamous 'hot-spot' but I can't find many references about a 'dead-spot'.

I find my PD-80R has a 'dead-spot' directly in the centre, where I get triggers that are significantly quieter (sometimes silent) than other hits.

I am triggering an SPD-20 (Octapad) using the PD120 setting (as recomended by Roland as the SPD does not have a specific PD-80R setting)

Has anyone else experinced anything like this at all before, and if so how have you solved it ?

Also, has anyone experimented putting a real drum skin onto a PD80R (as I am not a great fan of Mesh heads at all) - how does it affect the triggering ??

Any help / advice greatly welcomed.......

Thanks

PaulF

Paul, when I had the Vdrums (long ago) it was important (it still is) to tune the mesh head properly. To avoid mis triggers. Isn't this the same with the smaller pd-80 pad? Just tuning the head?

Or: is the mesh head just worn out as a result of which the centre no longer triggers properly.
    Robert

Comment

I had simular experience with this loud sound when hitting dead center once. What I did to cure the problem was to change the curve setting from Linear to exp 2 or loud 2 this is due to the force you hit with I believe.
      seems to work ok now with mine. (TD-8,PD-120)

Larz

Comment

Originally posted by Ranman
        I have kind of the opposite experience with the 80R; sometimes I'll be playing along and accidentally hit the snare dead-center and 'blam!' you'd think I'd done a rim-shot
        yes this happens to me sometimes. contrary to what roland uk have said to me, it really isn't supposed to happen - the sound should change not the volume.
        you can do a lot to tune it out by sticking it on trigger input 3 of your td8 and using the head tension function to tune it to 'normal' tension. further to that, i'm told a new foam pyramid thing is helpful, and am about to try that myself. one of the great things about these drums is that the parts are cheap, which they HAVE to be cos they don't last.
        "My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met."

Comment

Working...
        X