Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

which Amp. for my new TD6 setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which Amp. for my new TD6 setup?

hallo,

Now that i more or less have decided to go for the TD6 etc... I still have a question about the amplifier i best use with this.

My idea is to go for the Roland KC100, but a guy in a music store advised me to go for the Peavey Eurosys 15PM 100 watt (it's a little cheaper and he said it sounded better with E-drums.
    (i guess amps. have been a 'old' topic for you TD wizzkids outthere, but i am new here).
    cheers...

[This message has been edited by Sjoerd (edited June 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sjoerd (edited June 14, 2001).]

I think that dude is right.
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Go to the search page, type in the keywords "mackie", "jbl", "kc-500", and "pm-3", select "match any keywords" and "search all forums". There has been plenty of talk about amps.

The general consensus is that the Roland amps (PM-3, KC-500) are fine for home use and (for some folks) stage monitoring, but with the amplified PA speakers (Mackie SRM450, JBL EON G2) you get much more bang for the buck, and you have the headroom to really pump it if you need to. And IMO they sound much cleaner and more dynamic. I am completely satisfied with my single SRM450.
      Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Yeah, what ufotfu said.

Andy
        TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I am selling a new kc-500.
          Email me.
          The original Gig Pig.

Comment

nevermind, just saw where you are from.
            The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Has anybody considered using a hefty 12V DC power supply to run a bi-amped car stereo system with a separate sub-woofer (for the kick) and satellite speakers for home/stage sound? There's so much of that gear everywhere now (well, here in the States, anyway), some of it pretty reasonably priced, and it could probably produce deep enough tones.
              I don't know how many amps the mono (bridged?) amp for the woofer would draw, but maybe a heavier-duty computer power supply could work (they're 12V DC). Otherwise you just need a fairly hefty transformer and matching filter capacitors to give the oomph.

A stereo amp for the satellites only needs to be of moderate power.

And just think...you could run it all off a car battery outdoors...
              (of course, powering your drums is another matter...heh...)

Uh.....one--ee--an'--uh--too--ee--an'--uh...

Comment

Given that I work in a store that sells car stereo bits, I might chime in here.

This is an idea that I tossed around a few years back, but after much investigation I threw it out for the following reasons.

Quality car stereo components (split systems, woofers, amps) cost sizable amounts of money. Sure there is plenty of reasonably priced '[email protected]' out there but it you want decent quality you will have to spend the $$. Then you need to consider mounting systems etc. By the time you have all the bits hooked up and ready to roll you may as well have just gone and bought a decent powered speaker. And this doesn't take into account the power supply. Sure you may save some money by building your own, but I do not believe that you will get any better sound quality from such a system. Any resale value in such a set up? I think not. Dollar for dollar you would be better to buy amps designed for the purpose we want.

Secondly there arn't too many stores around that are going to let you try out their demo systems when you rock up with your edrums and ask if you can just 'plug in' and get a feel for the quality of sound. I personally had the opportunity to do this and spent many hours trying to 'tweak' amps, speakers, crossovers and still wasn't a happy camper.

Finally, car stereos are designed to work within a confined space and as such will be quite limited in their application in a stage/band scenario. Obviously they could only be used as a personal monitoring system. Don't get me wrong they can be darn loud, but generally the louder they go, the harsher they get.

For all the trouble you may run into trying to get it all to sound nice it's probably better to just go to the music store.

Just my two cents...
                Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I agree on the powered speakers or speaker/amp combo. But test drive them before buying. You can't blind-drive on the number of watts or 12 versus 15 inch loud speaker. There are just too many differences. If you play in a practice room then ask the shop keeper to take the amp there for one evening and play with the band.
                  Robert

Comment

Save your self some money and buy a Crate keyboard apm, one that has an EQ on it. I use one and love it I can EQ the apm to get more low end and it is a keyboard apm so the speaker is full range. If you are playing with a rock band no less than 150W mine is 110W and at times I wish I had more. I have been fairly lucky in getting the Guitar player and bass player to turn down. My apm also has a total of 4 inputs so you can run a monitor mix into your apm also.

------------------
                    Ted H.
                    www.tocsinrocks.com
                    Ted H.

Comment

Originally hosted by vDrumber:
                      of course, powering your drums is another matter...heh...
                      The brand new SPD-6 runs on batteries!

hehe cool, I could buy one with a little discman speaker set and annoy people in the train with excercising 7/8 en 11/16 rhythms
                      Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
                      X