Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Beater arm angle leading to warn kick drum heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beater arm angle leading to warn kick drum heads?

Ok, I am now on my third kick drum head because I keep wearing them out. I need some help.

I have a DW-7000 double pedal with a Hart Dynamics kick. I have the plastic beaters with felt accross the tip. I have tried turning the beaters around so that the plastic hits drum head instead of the felt beater. That seems to wear the heads less, but I am still wearing them out abnormally fast.

As you can see in the image below, when I step on the pedal, the beater head hits the drum head at an angle (not a perfect 90 degrees like I think it should). I see no way to adjust the pedal, kick drum, or beaters so that they can hit at a 90 angle.

Do your beater heads hit at 90 degrees? Do you think it matters?

I have read numerous post where people have used the same heads for years. I don't get it.
    My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

I have the same pedal and I don't really have any problems w/abnormal head wear (when I don't buy cheap heads). I have a medium throw on my beater, but I don't think the damage would revolve around the beater angle too much. How long have you used that beater? I ask because it (the felt) seems quite worn down, more so than mine and i've had mine for over 2 years. What style of playing do you use? Heel up or down? Overall, I'd say you might be hitting extra hard. Not that that's necessairly a bad thing, outside of constant head replacement. You may try one of those moleskin kind of patches that come with acoustic bass drums. I'm not sure if it would stick well to the mesh head but it might be worth a shot and give your head a bit more life IMO.
    td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

Originally posted by IndustrialDrummer
      I have the same pedal and I don't really have any problems w/abnormal head wear (when I don't buy cheap heads). I have a medium throw on my beater, but I don't think the damage would revolve around the beater angle too much. How long have you used that beater? I ask because it (the felt) seems quite worn down, more so than mine and i've had mine for over 2 years. What style of playing do you use? Heel up or down? Overall, I'd say you might be hitting extra hard. Not that that's necessairly a bad thing, outside of constant head replacement. You may try one of those moleskin kind of patches that come with acoustic bass drums. I'm not sure if it would stick well to the mesh head but it might be worth a shot and give your head a bit more life IMO.
      I have used the beater for two years. I only used the felt side for about a year. Then I turned it around.

I play mostly hard rock. I probably do hit extra hard since I have sheered a beater's shaft off at the junction to the pedal in the past . I never had to replace my accoustic kick drum head in over 10 years.

I'll look into a patch. I agree, it probably won't stick to a mesh head. Maybe I can sew on a section of one of my old dead mesh heads with some fine fishing line or something.

Thanks for helping me think through this!

Comment

Try duct tape and/or a Falam slam pad. Looks like you're just beating the heck out of 'em. You can take a couple of silver dollars (or any similar piece of round metal), wrap them in duct tape and tape them to your hot spots. It definetly cuts down on the wear. Sounds good on As, too, but shouldn't make any difference to the sound of Es.

Comment

One thing you might want to try is a different beater. Check out bigbangdist.com. They market Slug Percussion products and the Easton sticks and such. There's a product in there called the Speed Ball beater. The head pivots so it's supposed to hit flat every time. There's a few others on there that might help you. If you don't mind shelling out for the extra beater, it might be a good fix.

-Jaay

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude
            Do not use felt or partially felt beater. The beater should strike the drum at 90 degrees. If you do those two things, you should not be able to noticably damage a Kontrol Screen head if you play hard night and day for a year or two (unless the beater has a rough/sharp spot).
            I agree. Looking more closely at it, only a portion of the beater's head is striking the head (vs. the whole surface area of the beater's head). I need to figure out how to get the beater to strike at 90 degrees. I may have to bend the shaft or cut out a slot of the bottom plate of my kick drum so I can move the pedal closer to the drum head.

Here is the Hart GigaPro circa year 2000 that I have. I have an older model kick drum (has a V shaped, super heavy base without the side braces shown in the picture below). Does anyone else have this kit with a similar problem?

Comment

You cannot use the power of slayer type playing on v's.
              your style needs to be modifyed. if you need to slam hard play on your a's

Comment

Question within a question

CJude mentioned not using the felt on the Kontrol Screen head. Why?

I am a pretty moderate player (heel down) so I don't beat the crap out of the drums (just the way I was taught)... I would think the felt (I use a Tama Iron Cobra) would be better to preserve the head...

What am I missing here?
                Using Hart MegaPro with Roland TD8, amped by Roland KC-500

Comment

Re: Question within a question

Originally posted by kreja
                  CJude mentioned not using the felt on the Kontrol Screen head. Why?

I am a pretty moderate player (heel down) so I don't beat the crap out of the drums (just the way I was taught)... I would think the felt (I use a Tama Iron Cobra) would be better to preserve the head...

What am I missing here?
                  If I had to guess, I'd say there is a higher amount of friction between the material in the heads and the felt in the beater.

Comment

When I have used a felt beater on mesh heads, I have noticed it is only a matter of time before the felt "disintegrates" into the mesh head. White fuzzy dust everywhere. Oh, the horror...
                    E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
                    A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

oh. thanks. I feel not so smart.
                      Using Hart MegaPro with Roland TD8, amped by Roland KC-500

Comment

Better Beater

I like my TAMA Iron Cobra pedal and it only has a small felt pad on the beater. Tama's web-site offers two alternate beaters, wood or rubber. Has anybody used one of these. I've heard of plastic beaters but rubber may deteriorate and wood seems risky. Any recommendations.

Comment

An observation.

I'm using the beater that Roland supplied with the kick pad and I've noticed that the BEATER ITSELF is actually wearing where it hits the pad! There's a mass of tiny abrasions on the surface of the beater where it comes in contact with the head.

I wonder if they supply a special beater to help preserve the head?

Comment

I have an Iron Cobra Double Pedal and use two Tama brand Wooden Beaters. I found that the wood works better than the felt and rubber. However, you will still get some wear with the wood beaters. I'm a hard hitter as well but have had my V-Session's for over a year now and not replaced any heads.

The one thing I like about the Tama Beaters is that the beater is adjustable to get the proper angle on the head surface. I agree with the comment that you need to get the beater hitting square on the head surface.
                            Start Young, Play Hard, Rock On!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X