Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions on the td-12 and the um-1ex...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on the td-12 and the um-1ex...

Hi,
    I am a recept purchaser of the td-12 , and i also recently bought the mentioned midi-usb connector plug so i could download the vexpressions kits.

What i am wondering is, how can i play a song on itunes or something on my computer, have play along on my headphones on the td-12? is this possible?

Also, with this cord, what program(s) would i need to record what i do to my computer?

And one more thing, using the cord, how do i sample sounds from my computer, map them to a trigger, and have them go off when i hit it?

Thanks in advance

how can i play a song on itunes or something on my computer, have play along on my headphones on the td-12? is this possible?
    This is what V-Drums do best. Connect your computer audio out to the module mix-in, and you're good to go.

Also, with this cord, what program(s) would i need to record what i do to my computer?
    I don't do any recording, so I'll leave that question for the experts. One of whom will be along shortly...

And one more thing, using the cord, how do i sample sounds from my computer, map them to a trigger, and have them go off when i hit it?
    You need a VST host, and you'll want some VSTi plugins. Do some reading in the VST & Sample Libraries and you'll quickly be up to speed.
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

how do i go about plugging my audio out to my mix-in on the td-12? Do i need another cord besides the um-1ex?

Comment

also, i wanted to know if it was possible, using this cable, to play the drum sounds out of the computer speakers...anyone know, and if you can, how to do so?

Comment

The UM1EX is for MIDI. I will not pass audio. Take an I-Pod or the audio out of your pc and connect it in to the mix in of the TD12, then you can play along to tunes, which is awesome, especially if they are drumless tracks.

For recording, do a search, there is a lot of good info out there on this topic. The UM1EX will do for recording in MIDI I believe (have not done this yet) while you can take the master L/R line outs of the module and connect to the PC's line in. A free program is reaper to record (google reaper). good luck.

Comment

thanks for the answer, but i still need to know what kind of cord i need to connect the audio out of my computer with the mix in of the td-12...

also, the question about if i can use my computer as a weak amplifier for the drums is still to be answered...thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by den3ny07 View Post
              thanks for the answer, but i still need to know what kind of cord i need to connect the audio out of my computer with the mix in of the td-12...

also, the question about if i can use my computer as a weak amplifier for the drums is still to be answered...thanks in advance
              Generally PCs use mini plug outs. So you need a mini to mini plug with 1/4 adapter or mini to 1/4 cable. Mini out from PC to 1/4 Mix in on TD12.

And for the amplifier question.
              Your trying to use your PC as an amplifier to some bookshelf speakers? I guess you can but it's gonna sound pretty bad (depending on what sound card and speakers you have). Take the headphone out of TD12 to line in on PC. Use your PCs sound mixer to adjust sound. I guess as well, you can take the headphone out and plug into a home stereo amplifier. You have the option to use direct outs as well from the TD12.

PCs can sound really good if you have the correct gear and computer horsepower. Your standard PCs are generally shipped with crappy speakers and sound cards.

Recording:
              There's a tons of different ways to go here. What are you trying to do and what computer specs do you have? You need some serious horsepower to record realtime. If your computer isn't, expect MAJOR latency.

Like the poster mentioned above. Reaper is good free program to record and edit. I use a combo of Pro Tools and Reaper. The one problem with PT is that you need hardware to launch the program. So if I'm sitting on a plane, I can't edit with PT unless you buy the expensive USB add on. So I record in PT then take those audio files and edit in Reaper.
              Last edited by Lakers_Fan_24; 08-01-08, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X