Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-20 "Mix-In" Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 "Mix-In" Cables

Hi Everyone,

New to e-drumming (played accoustic for about 20 years) and just received my Roland TD-20 and black kit last weekend. Just a few basic questions regarding cables. I searched the forums but couldn't find (or understand...?) my exact question/answers, so please bare with me. I am looking for exactly the right cable names and sizes to connect to the following (even a suggested link to the proper cables would be great):

(1) My iPod Classic to the "Mix-In" so that I can play iPod tunes and my v-drums at the same time. Would the below 1/8" to 1/4" stereo cable work? Also, do I plug the 1/8" end into the headphone jack of my iPod?

http://www.kraftmusic.com/catalog/ac...dadaptors/5861

(2) My full-size cd player to the "Mix-In" so that I can play to cds along with the v-drums. What cable do I use to connect the cd player to the "Mix-In" and what jack to I plug the cable into the full-size cd player?

Welcome to the forum modinej! For your iPod, you'll need a mini-stereo (1/8") to 1/4" cable. So , yes that cable will work, and yes, you plug it into the headphone jack of the iPod. For the CD player, by "full-sized cd player" do you mean like a stereo component that has RCA jacks?
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Great, I think I have the iPod connection figured out thanks to your help. Now to the Cd player - yes what I mean is a full-size stereo component with RCA jacks in the back. I assume I need RCA to 1/4 TRS stereo plug? Also, what RCA output jacks do you use in the back of the cd player? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by modinej View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply. Great, I think I have the iPod connection figured out thanks to your help. Now to the Cd player - yes what I mean is a full-size stereo component with RCA jacks in the back. I assume I need RCA to 1/4 TRS stereo plug? Also, what RCA output jacks do you use in the back of the cd player? Thanks again.
        You assumed correctly. A cable like this one will do ya. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

As to which jacks in the back of the CD player, how many do you have back there? Most CD decks I have owned only had two...a white left and a red right. So, if that's the case with yours, with a Y cable with RCA red and white on one end an a 1/4" stereo on the other, plug red to red and white to white. Is yours a combo CD/DVD or something? If so, there should be one marked "Audio Out" or something like that with red and white RCA. If so, those would be thoe ones to use.
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Fullback32 - perfect. I have one white and one red as you described. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Sound Quality?

I just received my mix-in cables for my mp3 player and the cd player. I just hooked-up the mp3 player to the TD-20 module and I get sound, but each song I try playing to sounds like parts are missing. I am getting sound to both earphones (I have some Bose Noise Canceling headphones), but each song seems to be missing tracks, such as the voice track or the next might be just the drums and the voice, etc. I am using an Apple iPod Shuffle.

Anyone else run into this "quality of the sound/missing tracks" issue?

Comment

Originally posted by modinej View Post
              I just received my mix-in cables for my mp3 player and the cd player. I just hooked-up the mp3 player to the TD-20 module and I get sound, but each song I try playing to sounds like parts are missing. I am getting sound to both earphones (I have some Bose Noise Canceling headphones), but each song seems to be missing tracks, such as the voice track or the next might be just the drums and the voice, etc. I am using an Apple iPod Shuffle.

Anyone else run into this "quality of the sound/missing tracks" issue?
              Sounds like you are using a mono cable, and are getting only one channel that is being split into stereo. One way to check, is look at the silver tips of each end. If they have 2 small black rings (3 conductors), it's stereo. If it is only on black ring (2 conductors), you need the stereo version.
              See here:
              Last edited by Colquhoun; 08-01-08, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply - yes, I made sure I bought stereo 1/8" and 1/4" cables.....brand-new so I am at a loss for ideas. I guess I will buy another set tomorrow.

Comment

Try it with another source if you can. That way you will ascertain whether or not it's your iPod that's to blame.

I have to say...that sounds odd. Missing a track here and there. It definitely sounds like a mono thing.

I'm not an expert here so if anyone knows better, chip in without shooting me.

Just because the TRS has 2 rings on its tip doesn't necessarily mean it's a stereo cable. Balanced mono leads have 2 rings too I thnk. Check the packaging the cable come in.

I had a goofball/liar of a sales assistant once ell me what he thought was a balanced cable which turned out to be a stereo unbalanced cable. Cables are a complicated business.

Charlie

Comment

MMMMmmm

Just an idea....since my CD player on my Hi-Fi is broken, could I use the same sort of cable for linking the speaker or headphone output from my laptop to the mix in on my td-12 and drum along to mp3s?

Charlie

Comment

I figured it out. Really bizarre. I have been using Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. They sound great when you use them directly hooked-up to your stereo or your mp3, but for some reason, when I use them when they are plugged-in to the "Headphones" input of the TD-20 module, they take away certain tracks, etc. As soon as I tried another set of cheap ear-in plugs, it works great. I wonder if anyone else has run into this? Anyway, I just ordered some new Sony headphones that should work great (no noise cancelling!)

Comment

Thanks for letting us know that you managed to resolve this and how. It's useful information for others.

Comment

Working...
                        X