Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acoustic wood snare with Vdrums problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic wood snare with Vdrums problem

Hey guys, I have been trying to use a hybrid setup (acoustic wood snare with vdrum kit) It sounds amazing live and for recording.

The ONLY problem is that it seems that the sheer volume of the wood snare is slightly triggering my first 2 rack toms!! I can't really move them further away from the wood snare, its a pretty tight setup as it is. Is there any solution to canceling the crosstalk( internal module settings dont work in this situation and they are already maxed out)

Is there something I could put on the trigger areas underneath the pads to try to block crosstalk, creating a thicker wall so to speak?
    TDW-20, pd-8 toms, KD-120 kick, a real snare drum, and real cymbals

Is the snare mounted to the rack, or on it's own stand.
    If it is on it's own stand, crosstalk shouldn't be an issue.
    If it isn't, it should be...
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

You need to raise the "threshold" value a little in the trigger parameters for the toms until the snare no longer sets them off. Threshold parameter adjusts the minimum amount of vibration that triggers a pad.
      Quazi

Comment

Originally posted by Quazi View Post
        You need to raise the "threshold" value a little in the trigger parameters for the toms until the snare no longer sets them off. Threshold parameter adjusts the minimum amount of vibration that triggers a pad.
        This WOULD be the perfect solution, and I would have pursued this, but I have the threshold settings on those toms set perfectly to my playing dynamics and for the perfect feel! Thats just the thing, if I raise threshold values to accomodate the high volume of the wood snare, then I sacrifice my feel and playing. The more those values are raised, the harder you have to hit just to trigger the sample, meaning I'd have to change the way I play and hit quite a bit harder. Ultimately for natural feel and dynamics, you would want the threshold for the triggers to be very low, getting as many loud or soft hits triggered as possible.

Thats why this seems like a very sticky situation! I am looking for a solution where I don't have to change any internal settings, because I have the module set up almost perfectly at this point!

Comment

I will definitely give that idea a whirl though! Maybe I won't have to raise the values too much and achieve canceling snare/tom crosstalk, and still keeping the trigger threshold low enough to have great dynamics.

Comment

Working...
          X