Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rim Sensitivity Settings on TD10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim Sensitivity Settings on TD10

Hi,

A question regarding rim sensitivity settings on the TD 10. On a particular kit, I have a 'rim click' setting for the rim and a jazz snare sound on the head. With this particular setting, I don't want the rim sound to particularly trigger when I am playing on the head. So, as most of you are aware, we can adjust the rim sensitivity settings. My main issue is that it appears that when I adjust the various trigger parameters for this particular kit, they appear to be global. Are the various edit parameters only available on a per patch basis within the user kits? If not, how is this doable within the pre-set kits?

Cheers!
    Hart Dynamics TE 3.2, Roland TD 10, Alesis Trigger I/O Logic PRO, Yamaha DTX 2.0

All trigger settings are global and apply to all preset or user kits (on all modules), so on an unexpanded TD-10 you can only try to get the rim sensitivity just right for all kits or select another sound for the rim in a kit where you don't want a click.

On a TD-10 expanded with a TDW-1 you would have velocity sensitive rim sounds for cross stick or rimshot, with an additional Cross Stick Threshold trigger setting and an on/off switch for cross stick in each kit.

If you really need different trigger settings for different situations you could copy the current trigger bank to another, make slight changes to the copy and switch trigger banks as required at SETUP, TRIG (F1), BANK (F1).

Bruce

Comment

Many thanks Bruce, My Yamaha DTX has the velocity cross fade, it's time to be a little creative!
      Hart Dynamics TE 3.2, Roland TD 10, Alesis Trigger I/O Logic PRO, Yamaha DTX 2.0

Comment

Okay....along the same lines, I have a Keith Raper circuit for my Crash 1 & 2 and Aux 1 & 2 inputs so that I can have many more cymbals (this is on an expanded TD-10 w/Vcymbal control). One example is that I have Aux 1 going to a crash and a china...the crash comes in nice & clean, responds to the velocity, etc...but the china, which is the "rim" input, is way quieter...so in the basic parameter set up I hit the china and I adjust the sensitivity for the rim on Aux 1 until my hardest strike almost makes it "peak". Great...except now the crash peaks even with soft strikes. So are sensitivity and threshold settings the same for these inputs and their rims or should I be able to adjust an input's main and rim independently?
        Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Head and rim always share the same trigger settings, and on a TD-6/8/10 Rim Sensitivity is only available for a mesh snare (on a TD-9/12/20 rim settings are available for all inputs). So I think you can only try to find a compromise setting which kinda works for both parts of your split inputs.

Bruce

Comment

Ah, okay...that's the impression I had based on my little experiment, but thought I'd ask to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks Bart!
            Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong here, is the Keith Raper circuit similar to a standard "Y"splitter cable? This seems similar to a set up that I previously used with a Yamaha RHP 80 on a DTX 2.0 module. In order to produce separate head and rim sounds, I used both the snare and a separate auxiliary input with the splitter cable.

Comment

Originally posted by 71-jazz View Post
                Correct me if I am wrong here, is the Keith Raper circuit similar to a standard "Y"splitter cable? This seems similar to a set up that I previously used with a Yamaha RHP 80 on a DTX 2.0 module. In order to produce separate head and rim sounds, I used both the snare and a separate auxiliary input with the splitter cable.
                No; it allows two piezos to be used on a single input intended for one piezo and one switch, which no splitter cable can do.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                X