Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh head KICK trigger versus rubber - which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh head KICK trigger versus rubber - which is better?

Cost aside, which is better, a mesh-type kick trigger (such as KD-120) or a rubber kick trigger such as the KD-8? I play some double bass.

You're going to get different answers to this question. Simple, some like mesh, some like rubber. I use mesh (Hart Pro) and love it. It was pretty bouncy at first and was getting a lot of double strikes I didn't want. I tend to have my heads pretty tight, but on the bass drum I found that if I loosened the head a bit, that bounciness went away (and a few tweaks on my pedal). I've been happy ever since. I've never used the rubber so I can't really talk about any differences.
    Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
    "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Fullback32's right. I used a KD7 for 10 years and it was okay but I didn't like the angle and the time to impact. Couldn't really adjust much. Now I've got a KD120 and a double Iron Cobra and like it much better. More adjustment, looks better, not angled. But it's still preference.

Shalom
      Bruce

Comment

I agree with both Fullback 32 and Big Bopper. I also have a mesh head KD120 with Iron Cobra pedals. I also had to play around with the tension to avoid double hits. But I had that problem with rubber heads as well.
        The only thing I can add is that mesh gets me much closer to a real drum feel than my old rubber drum heads.

Comment

Rubber Kick

I'm putting in my vote for the KD-7's and KD-8 that I have on my setup. I played with the KD-85 and KD-125 at the drum shop but didn't like it. I like to play the KD-7's with DW 4000 pedals that has the offset sprocket and the KD-8 with the DW 7002 double pedal that has the turbo sprocket. Reversing the pedals would feel weird to me. When I played a KD-8 with a DW 5000 pedal that has the offset sprocket, it didn't feel right.

Like Fullback said, you'll get different answers for this question. It's all very subjective.
          Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

Since I am the self-appointed final arbiter of all things V-Drums, I will tell you!

I traded in my KD-120 for a pair of KD-8s. So the answer is rubber.

All kidding aside, you got to go play a few, if you can, and decide on the feel. How do you set up your acoustic kick? If you stuff a pillow against the head, you're going to love rubber. If you tune it large and floppy, you might love mesh.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              Since I am the self-appointed final arbiter of all things V-Drums, I will tell you!
              For now my friend...for now.

I love a chance to hate on mesh heads! I've had two mesh drums in my life, and I absolutely loathed the feel of both of them - they mistriggered a lot as well. I still play acoustics a fair amount of the time, and I think mesh heads are too forgiving, especially on things like tight rolls AND kick drum feel. Messes up my style and I can't have it. I know I'm in the minority, but rubber just feels more like the real thing, IMHO. Getting really tight rolls on my PD-9 makes them a breeze on my acoustic snares.

So I say rubber.

Cheers.

Steve
              No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

We could go on forever with "I prefer...", but ultimately it's what YOU prefer.... so go try in a shop, or buy both, choose, then sell one.

Pragmatic, but true!

Comment

Now where's the fun in that?

Shalom
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bopper View Post
                    Now where's the fun in that?

Shalom
                    Bruce

Buying every product available to try out, then selling for a profit on ebay!

Comment

Working...
                    X