Announcement

Collapse

Technical Posting Guidelines

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST LOUNGE OR PRODUCT DISCUSSION!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

MIDI question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R27789
    replied
    Originally posted by fiftyonepeg:
    Ok I am brand new to MIDI but I think I at least understand the basics decently for a first timer. However I am sure there is some small detail I am forgetting about which is holding me back which might be easily pointed out by the experts here-

Basically I am trying to get my MC-307 Groovebox to work with my TD-10. I am trying to get loops created on my MC-307 to be able to be triggered from a pad on my V-drums. After much fiddling around I was able to get my MC-307 to work as an external keyboard and play the backing parts and drums located in the TD-10. However I could not get it to work the other way- to be able to record the loop on the TD-10 and play it back using the sounds on the MC-307 Groovebox. I have all the MIDI channels assigned correctly (drums on 10, parts 1-3 on MIDI channels 1-3 accordingly). At one point (I don't know how I did this unfortunately) I did get the sounds from MC-307 running through the TD-10 but they would hold and carry on forever causing a data overload error on the TD-10. I would have to unplug the MIDI cables to stop the flow to continue on.

I know there are a ton of settings that are involved in this process but any help you can give me is appreciated. Sometimes the manuals are not as clear as the explanations here.

Thanks.
    Let me see if I understand you correctly.
    Triggering from the Vdrum pad the internal sequencer in the TD8/10, but sounds from the MC 307?
    I am able to do this using a Sound module with General MIDI connected to my TD7.
    Perhaps you should try playing a MIDI song, (Computer, sequencer, whatever) through channels 1-3 and see if your MC 307 sounds first before messing around with the TD8/10.

Once that's established, make sure that Parts 1-3 are assigned to MIDI channel 1-3 on both Vdrum and 307.

The sounds which hold and carry on forever may be due to the MIDI Thru (or mix) being set to "ON" on your VDRUMS.

Fon.

Leave a comment:

• Prototype
    replied
    I'm starting to think you just can't do it. I have been trying to figure out how I would do the same thing, once I get my sequencer. I mean, the vdrums are obviously capable of doing such things, it does so with its own sequencer, but how do we get external sequencers to play a specific sequence when X pad is struck? I can't find it anywhere in the manual.

However I do have the spd20 and that has a whole page dedicated on how to do just that, transmit start /stop messages, it can go to the top of the song each time the pad is struck, it can even pause the sequence. Those adjustments are made in the Transmit Channel section of the SPD (nowhere to be found on the vdrums)

"using the pads to control external devices"

So it is as if sending those messages is on a diffrent channel all together. The spd does not send a note # when this settng is used. Maybe you could just send a program change message to the 307, lets say sequence #37 is your fat bassline, the vdrums "should" be able to send out thourgh midi "program #37" and then the 307 would simply call up that sequence and start rocking! But Im not sure if that will work. (pg#119 in vdrum book) But it does not look like you can specify what program, you can only go +1 or -1. Haven't messed around with it much...

OR you could try simply sending a specific note # to the 307, and maybe assign a sequence to that note #.

Leave a comment:

• fiftyonepeg
    started a topic MIDI question(s)

MIDI question(s)

Ok I am brand new to MIDI but I think I at least understand the basics decently for a first timer. However I am sure there is some small detail I am forgetting about which is holding me back which might be easily pointed out by the experts here-

Basically I am trying to get my MC-307 Groovebox to work with my TD-10. I am trying to get loops created on my MC-307 to be able to be triggered from a pad on my V-drums. After much fiddling around I was able to get my MC-307 to work as an external keyboard and play the backing parts and drums located in the TD-10. However I could not get it to work the other way- to be able to record the loop on the TD-10 and play it back using the sounds on the MC-307 Groovebox. I have all the MIDI channels assigned correctly (drums on 10, parts 1-3 on MIDI channels 1-3 accordingly). At one point (I don't know how I did this unfortunately) I did get the sounds from MC-307 running through the TD-10 but they would hold and carry on forever causing a data overload error on the TD-10. I would have to unplug the MIDI cables to stop the flow to continue on.

I know there are a ton of settings that are involved in this process but any help you can give me is appreciated. Sometimes the manuals are not as clear as the explanations here.

Thanks.

Working...
X