Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low drum volume on the TD-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low drum volume on the TD-9

I set up my TD-9 just two days ago (woohoo!) and I'm having a strange problem: the output volume of the drum kit itself (whether I'm using headphones or not) is terribly low. I have to turn the volume dial all the way up to 3 o'clock to hear anything decent.

Now I'm saying "the drum kit itself" because when I try to play to one of the MIDI songs packaged with the module, the songs come out mighty loud! The drum kit gets buried by the song.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Sure, I could lower the volume of each and every song, but that doesn't seem like a "normal" thing to do -- and in any case, it wouldn't solve my low drum volume problem.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

You're not doing anything wrong... except maybe forgetting to search. There is a lot of talk about it already posted.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
      You're not doing anything wrong... except maybe forgetting to search. There is a lot of talk about it already posted.
      for headphones that solve the problem:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ght=headphones

otherwise the TD9 discussion thread, and under custom kits, the VEX hodgepodge thread are other places, but you will have to search those yourself because, well because...

to summarise, getting good headphones, a headphone amp and/or the vex pack will solve your problem...suggestions as to which amp or headphones are in the threads...

I ended up lowering each song as I went along anyway, since I wanted them changed to loops from oneshots, and wanted to mix in the click level....

but it's a fun kit, for all its faults...
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

I did perform a search, but all I found were discussions about headphones. Now I fail to see how a pair of headphones would solve my particular problem, i.e. the songs are at the right level but not the drum kit itself (too low).
        Wouldn't the headphones bring everything up, including the songs?

Comment

Speaking for myself, I solved the low volume problem by getting better headphones with a higher impedance, and by getting the vex pack...that allowed me to go from 3 oclock to 12 oclock on the volume knob...but the songs are still too loud for me, and i lower each one to my comfort zone as the same time i change it from a one shot to a loop....

solving the low drum kit volume makes the songs even higher, as you said, but you have to take a couple of seconds per song to lower them....

Comment

Saku: all right, getting told the songs are too loud to begin with is what I was hoping for. So thanks! I'll just lower them knowing nothing's wrong with my TD-9.
            (Unless there's something wrong with ALL our TD-9s...)

That'll leave me to tackle the other problems. Chief among them is the fact that I have no idea what a VEX pack is. I know, I know, I'll search...

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorecki View Post
              Saku: all right, getting told the songs are too loud to begin with is what I was hoping for. So thanks! I'll just lower them knowing nothing's wrong with my TD-9.
              (Unless there's something wrong with ALL our TD-9s...)

That'll leave me to tackle the other problems. Chief among them is the fact that I have no idea what a VEX pack is. I know, I know, I'll search...

Thanks again!
              There are several things 'wrong' with the TD9 in the meaning that if _I_ had been God-Emperor, i would have designed differently - like the song volumes, or that the USB only plays .wavs....and done something about the shipped kits not being as good as a Vex pack....

You will find a lot about VEX, so here is the website, to make thing easier, http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

but note to make things easier you will also need vdrumslibrary, who wil release their TD9 version very shortly (I tested a beta, so it should be long at all)... http://www.vdrumlib.com/

If I had know about Vex packs, i might not have needed to trade up from my 6 to a 9.

keep the beat!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Now do the kits on the VEX pack sound louder by themselves? (In other words, is this why you're recommending them? Or just because you think they are, from an aesthetics points of view, a necessary upgrade to the TD-9? )

I'm still not sure how I would go about using those packs, so I have yet some time to find lurking around and reading up on that. I just don't want to necessarily have to connect to my computer to drum.

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Gorecki View Post
                  Thanks for the info!

Now do the kits on the VEX pack sound louder by themselves? (In other words, is this why you're recommending them? Or just because you think they are, from an aesthetics points of view, a necessary upgrade to the TD-9? )

I'm still not sure how I would go about using those packs, so I have yet some time to find lurking around and reading up on that. I just don't want to necessarily have to connect to my computer to drum.

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Francis
                  with the 9, unlike the others, you DON T have to connect the computer to the drums.--just down load the packs onto the computer, transfer to a usb memory (like a stick, but I can use my nokia phone or my creative muvo mp3 players as memory devices-..)..then connect the usb to the usb connector on the 9 ...easy as a koala...

for osme reason the packs are louder...i notice when i go back to one of the preset packs (I keep the double bass, brushes, and world kits form the original) that I have to crank the volume...

Comment

Working...
                  X