Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with CY15R on TD7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with CY15R on TD7

First of all, I only use the TD7 as a TMI into BFD2. I connected the edge/bow TRS output of the CY15R to the Ride input of the TD7, and the bell/bow TRS to Crash. Problem is that when I hit any area, the cymbal/TD7 sends both MIDI notes to BFD2, triggering both the bell sound and the cymbal hit sound.
    How can I separate the nots?

Use the rim note number (52) for the bell instead of the head (49)?

Presumably you want three zones from the cymbal, including an edge sound using note number 53 as well as a bow sound using note number 51? If not, you could just use the bow/bell output.

Bruce

Comment

I did unplug the bow/edge, and I was already using different notes. gonna try a 2xts-1trs cable instead.

Comment

I don't understand. It sounded like you were getting a bell sound from the bow. Were you using TRS cables for both inputs? Could you explain "..., and I was already using different notes"? Please answer whether you are trying to achieve three zones including an edge sound. I don't see why you would want to use a 2xts-1trs cable.

Bruce

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to use the CY15R currently with a TD7. I don't really care about the edge, although maybe at some point. Mostly, I would like to be able to get the TD7 to send different MIDI notes if I hit the bow versus the bell. It doesn't seem to be able to do that, as it sends both notes simultaneously. Ignoring the "edge", am I supposed to use on TRS-TRS cable from the "bell/bow" output of the CY15R into the "Ride" input of the TD7? This is my current wiring, and produces the unwanted result mentioned above. Is the TD7 even able to understand the dual CY15R output at all?

Comment

By default, the TD-7 should transmit note 51 for the ride input bow and 53 for the ride input rim (i.e. bell if you use one TRS cable from the CY-15R bow/bell output). But it's possible that the note numbers on your TD-7 have been previously changed so that perhaps bow and bell are both set to 51. I think you should check the note numbers set for T8 and R8 by using the full instructions on Page 42 in the TD-7 manual and possibly restoring them to 51 and 53. It should be possible to get two CY-15R zones easily from one TRS cable, or even three zones using a second input and cable.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks. I definitely checked the notes assignement, and they are different.
              Now, I am able to get two different sounds, but it is absolutely impossible to control which one is gonna be triggered. Very low velocities anywhere on the pad triggers the bell, whereas higher velocities trigger the bow. There is no way to hit the bow softly to get a gentle ride, as I then get the bell.
              The other thing that is puzzling is that the TD7 display (in TRIG edit mode) does not show T8 and R8, but instead T8 and T7. It does seem to view each zone as a different instrument, not a rim-hit pair of the same instrument. Not necessarily a huge deal, since I'm getting different notes, but I mention it in case it's a reason for my velocity problem. So how do I solve the latter?

Comment

T7 is Tom 4. Do you have it connected to that input?

Perhaps Tom 4 is just getting triggered through vibrations when you hit the ride harder?

What note number is set for R8 which is where the bell should be?

I think it would be much easier to get it working properly for bow and bell with one TRS cable. Leave the second bow/edge cable until later, or not at all since you said you don't care about the edge.

You may need to scroll through the note numbers set for each trigger head and rim to make sure there are no duplicate numbers for different triggers, as that can cause strange problems.

Bruce

Comment

I just positively cannot get R8 to trigger on the bell, only T8 on the bow. Earlier, I was able to get the bell to send T7, because I had the TRS cable from the bow/edge in T8 and bow/bell in T7.
                  So either the TD7 is incapable of reading R8 from the CY15, or my CY15 is defective.
                  Regardless, it's not working, and I now have doubts whether it would work better with the TMC-6. What a pain...

Comment

OK, got it to work. It was a matter of properly fastening the cymbal to its stand, and more importantly, developing a technique to strike the bell with the body of the stick and prevent it from bouncing. I can get 9 out of 10 bell hits correctly. So I think I'll be fine just with the TD7 after all, since you mentioned it should handle the VH11 hhat fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X