Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMC-6 to expand TD7 as a TMI? TMC-6 Capability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMC-6 to expand TD7 as a TMI? TMC-6 Capability?

I am looking to expand my TD7 rig with a CY15R cymbal, either a VH11 or VH12 hhat, and a PD125 snare. I currently only have PD8 pads.Please note that I use BFD2 as a sound module, and only use the TD7 as a TMI. It seems that one option is to buy a Roland TMC-6 and combine it with the TD7. The other option is to sell the TD7, and buy a new TD3-6-9 or 12 (which one?). This seems overkill given that I don't want any sound module, just trigger. Are any of the TD units better trigger modules than the TD7+TMC-6 combination I'm looking at? Would using the TMC-6 prevent me from using the full features of the new trigger pads I mention above?

A few questions:
    1. Does the TMC-6 offer full MIDI triggering capability to take advantage of the multi-zone of the CY15R?
    2. Can the TMC-6 correctly process the VH11 hhat?
    3. What is the difference between the VH11 and the VH12?
    4. Can the TMC-6 allow cross-stick on the snare?
    5. Sould I connect the TMC-6 serially to the TD7, or do I need to use a separate MIDI input on my DAW?

Any other cost effective options to solve my problem?

Thanks

Originally posted by phatstadt View Post
    Are any of the TD units better trigger modules than the TD7+TMC-6 combination I'm looking at?
    A TD-12 could do positional sensing via MIDI; apart from that, probably not.

Would using the TMC-6 prevent me from using the full features of the new trigger pads I mention above?
    Only for the VH-12 which only works with a TD-12/20.

Does the TMC-6 offer full MIDI triggering capability to take advantage of the multi-zone of the CY15R?
    Yes.

Can the TMC-6 correctly process the VH11 hhat?
    Yes.

What is the difference between the VH11 and the VH12?
    A VH-11 has one cymbal, works with all modules and is quieter. A VH-12 has two cymbals, allows control of closed tightness with a TD-12/20 but is noisier.

Can the TMC-6 allow cross-stick on the snare?
    There's no specific cross stick function, but no module transmits anything special for cross stick via MIDI anyway. It would be up to the software to decide based on velocity whether a snare rim hit is interpreted as rim shot or cross stick. But it transmits snare rim hits via MIDI, so I guess the answer is yes.

Should I connect the TMC-6 serially to the TD7, or do I need to use a separate MIDI input on my DAW?
    I doubt whether there's any advantage to using a separate DAW MIDI input, so the TMC-6 MIDI Out could go to the TD-7 MIDI In. I believe you would have to set "Midi Mix = ON" on the TD-7 as it appears that "Soft Thru" is off by default.

Any other cost effective options to solve my problem?
    Alesis Trigger IO? (But it's not so versatile with Roland PD-8 or CY pads.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BarT; 08-22-08, 10:01 PM. Reason: sperarete=separate!

Comment

Thanks. What is the difference between positioning sensing and multi-zone trigger? I would like to be able to use the bell versus the main part of the CY15R (I don't care that much about the edge). Currently, my TD7 is unable to differentiate between the two regions, although I'm sending the pad output to two different inputs on the TD7 (Wondering if this is normal?)
      On the HH side, practically, what is the difference between the VH11 and the VH12 as far as playability, given that I would send the MIDI into BFD2 in ProTools? Is what you mention below "The VH12 allows control of closed tightness with a TD-12/20" a functionality that I would lose anyways by going into BFD2, therefore I won't see any difference between the VH11 and the VH12?

Comment

What is the difference between positioning sensing and multi-zone trigger?
        Positional sensing is an additional nuance for the position within one zone, which can be transmitted as MIDI Control Change messages form the snare/toms heads and the ride bow on a TD-12; some of which can be used by BFD 2.

I would like to be able to use the bell versus the main part of the CY15R (I don't care that much about the edge). Currently, my TD7 is unable to differentiate between the two regions, although I'm sending the pad output to two different inputs on the TD7 (Wondering if this is normal?)
        No, it's not normal.

On the HH side, practically, what is the difference between the VH11 and the VH12 as far as playability, given that I would send the MIDI into BFD2 in ProTools?
        Not much.

Is what you mention below "The VH12 allows control of closed tightness with a TD-12/20" a functionality that I would lose anyways by going into BFD2, therefore I won't see any difference between the VH11 and the VH12?
        Probably, but it depends whether BFD has various samples for closed hi-hat.

Bruce

Comment

Comment

Also, assuming the answer above is yes, can the TD7 read and send all the additional MIDI info that the VH12 creates to BFD2, or not? If not, can the TMC-6 generate such info? I'm trying to understand if the TD12/20 can use the VH12 because of their MIDI decoding capability or because of their synth modules that can process such info? If it's the latter, then there is no alternative except maybe the Alesis IO, but it got such a bad review that I'm not too keen, although I could use it for the VH12 only when combined with the TD7.

Comment

Working...
            X