Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midi Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi Trigger

I was wondering if a PM-16 16 Ch would be able to carry out the same functions as the TMC6??

If so, 16 channels to 6 would be a better deal, no??

Sure Micahel or Bart would have great feed back on this question....

Almost the same functions. But inputs on the PM-16 are single whereas those on the TMC-6 are dual. And the PM-16 doesn't have a special hi-hat input for pedal control. Also remember that the PM-16 is 21 years old so its editing functions for initial setup will be slightly more cumbersome (e.g. a switch on the back to reach basic and advanced settings).

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
      But inputs on the PM-16 are single whereas those on the TMC-6 are dual.
      Only channel 2 is dual on the TMC-6 - all the rest are single. There are only 7 inputs on the TMC-6.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
        Only channel 2 is dual on the TMC-6 - all the rest are single. There are only 7 inputs on the TMC-6.
        All 6 inputs on the TMC-6 are dual for cymbals and rubber pads (unlike the PM-16), but only input 2 for a mesh pad. There are only 6 inputs on a TMC-6.

Bruce

Comment

All 6 inputs on the TMC-6 are dual for cymbals and rubber pads (unlike the PM-16), but only input 2 for a mesh pad. There are only 6 inputs on a TMC-6.
          You forgot the neener neener part...
          Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Bruce
            That is so weird. I have been using my TMC-6 with only mesh pads, so I had to grab a CY-8 and test this. You are absolutely right. And the manual doesn't make this abundantly clear. This is why we keep you around Bruce!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
              That is so weird. I have been using my TMC-6 with only mesh pads, so I had to grab a CY-8 and test this. You are absolutely right. And the manual doesn't make this abundantly clear. This is why we keep you around Bruce!
              You're right about the manual Michael. Believe it or not, I actually did perform a RTFM on my TMC-6 but that wasn't how I found out about the dual inputs for cymbals. Like you, I found out through curiosity and experimentation.

Comment

I was only jesting about the 6 or 7 inputs. Roland refer to a TMC-6 as having 7 inputs in some places (because one of the 6 can be split with a standard insert cable), but 6 in other places.

Bruce

Comment

Back to the PM-16, I used one for 8 years. It was great, but it is a super simple (both user ease and technology) interface. I only wanted to trigger samples off my EMAX sampling keyboard, and it worked great. A while ago I was re-doing the kit after it was in storage for a while and 7 of the inputs were bad. the repair shop couldn't repair it, but could 'solder a shunt'.. for only $215 dollars. I got a new IO for $125. and got 20 inputs (10 duals). And happy keen new features like hi-hat controller grok. Overall, the PM-16 was great for it's time, but go for the TMC-6 or the Alesis I/O.

BTW, in my recent playing, I notice that my velocity response was way better w/ the PM-16.. my medium hit was a medium hit. with the I/O, my very soft hits are mediums.. almost all of my hits are at full velocity.. Haven't really dug into it, but I have tweaked all the setting I thought I should on the I/O to try to get some 'hotness' out of the system. guess my pads are too sensitive, and the PM-16 worked well with that. Although, I did LOVE the sensitivity knobs on the PM-16. Maybe that's how I dialed my pads in w/ such ease!! Okay, my long ass post is done.
                  Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
                  sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

ghostman: Thanks for sharing your considerable experience of the PM-16. The comparison with an Alesis IO is very useful.

Bruce

Comment

No Prob..
                      I played with the I/O last night and dialed in some 'sensitivity'.. I misread how 'Gain' works. I thought the higher the number (ranges from 0 to 20) meant the more velocity it took to max out.. I changed all my gains from 20 to like 3, and my soft hits are soft hits now.. I like to think of gain as an adder. hit softly, and gain will add to the velocity. So, I rescind my comment that the velocity was better on the PM-16. it was easier to configure..

This is particularly noticeable on the ride bell, which is input #4, which is the only input NOT configurable to PP (Piezo / Piezo) but is set to PS (Piezo / switch). The bell is the switch, and therefore, the volume is consistent. set gain to 0, and its VERY quiet. set gain to 20, and it's as loud as it's gonna get.

Odd, but I am still learning this hunk of 'quipment.

I probably can tell you a LOT about the PM-16.. just ask.
                      Last edited by ghostman; 07-18-08, 01:18 PM.
                      Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
                      sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Working...
                      X