Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Vs. Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Vs. Windows

Hi gang

Long story short i have been offered a Power Mac G4 for next to nothing to use for running Vxpressions and other Midi files on my TD10, as I am a comp novice on Midi I need to know are Mac's as good at running Midi as they are everthing else? It has 1Gb of ram and is wipe clean with a DVD re writer don't know what else to say,

N.
    TD-12 VEX TMC-6 A2E kit 16 pieces and growing and a cursed left handed child of the devil.

When it comes to midi, it really does not matter. The interface and software you use will be the key points. What are your (midi/audio I/O) needs and what do you plan to use?
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Mac's really excel at anything creative, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one for what you describe. The guy I bought my kit from demo'd midi samples in Garageband on his powerbook. I was suitably impressed, and quite suprised to find that Garageband is an application that comes with the Mac OS.
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Mac's rule, I'd have no hesitation recommending it at all.

Comment

Bump to everyone else here. I have two G4 400 MHz Mac's which are ancient by today's standards and rarely get used now but they would easily run any midi app.
          I did use one of them to record a live gig recently and it managed to record 18 channels of 24 bit audio for three hours straight without a single hiccup.

Here's a couple of photo's of that rig....

Backstage at the Russell Morris gig I recorded

...and set up during testing beforehand

Comment

Thanks all I will go with the Mac for control and at $90/£50 it's a steal, in answer to amonline I am using it to run/control Vexpressions and MIDI-OX for now with something like cakewalk to EDZ to follow.

Oops for posting in the wrong section...lol

SP your setup never ceases to amaze me

N.
            TD-12 VEX TMC-6 A2E kit 16 pieces and growing and a cursed left handed child of the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Navare View Post

SP your setup never ceases to amaze me

N.
              Me too.. but I must say that I'm _not_ impressed by the signature .. can you make it bigger, please ? and with more animated gifs.. we never get to many of those.. EVER !

Comment

Cheers on the Mac rig guys. That particular one is pretty ancient by today's standards though (apart from the preamps and the TC Delay) but it still produces great results for live recording. It is waaaay too limited for any serious mixing work though.

TriggerThis, you must be using a small monitor. Let me know when you get a bigger one and I'll increase my sig image size and add a few more flashing lights

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                  TriggerThis, you must be using a small monitor. Let me know when you get a bigger one and I'll increase my sig image size and add a few more flashing lights
                  I'm already using 3 monitors on 2 video cards on my workstation.. I go two 21" that I use for coding ang testing software and the other one, a 19" I use for email and we surfing the web. I have the biggerst destktop of anyone I know .. its about 3840x1820 pixels of display.

Would be GREAT to have a signature wich is about 3700 pixels wide.. I could display it on all 3 monitors at the same time !!!

Comment

TriggerThis, my signature must look TINY on such a large resolution. I'll have to fix that!!

Sorry for the thread hijack N.

Comment

Working...
                    X