Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD10 live monitoring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD10 live monitoring question

Hi all - new here and I am not a drummer (I dont even play one on TV...).
    I am the sound guy for a local cover band doing mostly corporate stuff at this point. We have an excellent drummer who has a really wonderful girlfriend - probably closer to fiance now because she just bought him a really nice TD10 set as a birthday present. We have been looking at V drums for a while but it just wasnt in the budget. Back in the 90s he and I worked together in a full time regional and he triggered his accoustic kit with an Alesis - everything but the cymbals. For this gig, we have been going fully accoustic with mics. Anyway, we now have this kick-ass electronic drumkit that can really do the job and will solve so many other issues - stage volume in particular. The question then is how to handle stage monitoring - obviously everyone onstage needs to hear the thing, right? I have followed the threads here about what speakers to use - JBL Eons vs Mackies, etc. but thats not what I need to know. We have a pair of Eon15 G2s that we could use or we could use some unpowered EV 15/1 wedges as well - we are set on the actual speaker & amp arrangement.
    The question is how to utilize the outputs of the TD10. For the 1 gig we have done so far. I used all 8 TD10 outputs - Kick on main panned hard left, snare on main panned hard right, hats on aux 1&2 panned hard left, ride on aux 1&2 panned hard right, the 4 toms panned stereo across auxes 3&4, and the crashes panned stereo across auxes 5&6. This gives me essentially the same setup at my FOH rig as I used with his accoustic kit. I sent the drums back to the stage as a single mono mix through an aux send to the EONs and it seemed to work pretty well. Currently I do 2 monitor mixes from FOH - we dont have a seperate monitor rig at this point.
    Im wondering though, what does the TD10s headphone output do when you assign and pan drums across the main and aux outputs? Does it still play all of the pads regardless of output assignment? Does it follow the pan settings? I think what I would like to do is to take the headphone outputs directly into the EONs for a stage mix instead of sending it back from FOH - will that work? Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!

Welcome!

I think with the setup you describe, you would only get kick and snare from the headphone output. It is a frustration which has been expressed here previously that Roland has chosen to couple the master and phones routings on all modules (including TD-12/20), so only the pads assigned to master outputs are also automatically assigned to headphones. This will finally be solved for the TD-20 with the forthcoming TDW-20 expansion board; "You can use the headphone output as a monitor. For example, if you only want to send the ambience to the master outputs, you can still monitor all of the mixed sound from the headphone." Sorry this doesn't help for a TD-10

(And I also think the panning on the phones output would match master output panning, but that really makes things worse not better.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BarT; 07-16-08, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
      Welcome!

I think with the setup you describe, you would only get kick and snare from the headphone output. It is a frustration which has been expressed here previously that Roland has chosen to couple the master and phones routings on all modules (including TD-12/20), so only the pads assigned to master outputs are also automatically assigned to headphones. This will finally be solved for the TD-20 with the forthcoming TDW-20 expansion board; "You can use the headphone output as a monitor. For example, if you only want to send the ambience to the master outputs, you can still monitor all of the mixed sound from the headphone." Sorry this doesn't help for a TD-10

(And I also think the panning on the phones output would match master output panning, but that really makes things worse not better.)

Bruce

So the simplest solution would be to send the drums back from FOH as I did on the last gig or use a small 8 channel mixer on stage for the monitor mix with a split to FOH. The split may be easy enough to pull off - its already clear that I need an 8 channel DI (since Roland chose not to include balanced outputs) which will already have the splitter and we do have a small (same size as the TD-10 head) Yamaha 10 channel mixer.
      Thanks for the clarification on the headphone output!

Comment

Working...
      X