Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spd-s [Sequencer? Kick/Hi-hat?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spd-s [Sequencer? Kick/Hi-hat?]

Does the SPD-S have a drum machine/sequencer onboard???
    And can you hook up a Kick drum and HH??

No, it is a sampler. There is a feature called "Phrase Maker" which will let you play a pattern using existing samples and then save that as a new sample.

You can hook up a Kick and Hi-Hat, but the Hi-Hat is pretty limited to open and closed sounds. No inbetween sounds at all.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
      No, it is a sampler. There is a feature called "Phrase Maker" which will let you play a pattern using existing samples and then save that as a new sample.

You can hook up a Kick and Hi-Hat, but the Hi-Hat is pretty limited to open and closed sounds. No inbetween sounds at all.
      Thanks Michael, appreciate the update.
      Looks like i may be going for an SPD-S before the TDW-20...

Oh there is one other question i just thought of.
      Can you play sampled wave files directly off the card, or do you need to import them into the on board memory assuming that is???
      Finally are you able to save and access kits with ease the same way as per TD-20???

Comment

Yes, you can import straight to the card. When you import a wav file and you get to the Dest screen, simply push the card button. All my custom samples are on my card. The SPD-S needs to import all samples i.e. convert them to its proprietary format, but the destination can be anywhere. Once you import a wav, you delete it from the card and the proprietary file is still there.

Actually, access to the kits is easier since there are more of them. You actually have 128 instead of 50. Just scroll with the big buttons - just like the TD-20.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
          Yes, you can import straight to the card. When you import a wav file and you get to the Dest screen, simply push the card button. All my custom samples are on my card. The SPD-S needs to import all samples i.e. convert them to its proprietary format, but the destination can be anywhere. Once you import a wav, you delete it from the card and the proprietary file is still there.

Actually, access to the kits is easier since there are more of them. You actually have 128 instead of 50. Just scroll with the big buttons - just like the TD-20.

So your saying you can actually set up drum kits similar to the TD-20 but totaling 128 and access them with ease from a single button??? That is amaizing?? I am really liking what i am hearing...
          Actually, i thought it couldn't be done that simple, so i was kind of debating wheather i should take the plung. I thought my current SPD-11 would have been better. It's just that Mr. Stixx demo on his SPDS really got me thinking and the sound quality is just incredible just like the TD-20...

It also seemed very easy and quick to sample.

Where can i buy sampled sounds to use on the SPD-S??
          Can you do this? Sorry, might sound dumb, but i really don't know any of this stuff...
          Then again, i guess i am really going to have to get the machine and play around with it.... hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by RAJ View Post
            ...It's just that Mr. Stixx demo on his SPDS really got me thinking and the sound quality is just incredible just like the TD-20...
            If I'm not mistaken, the drum sounds on Mr Stixx's SPD-S demo are samples from his TD-20 (which are probably VEX). Mr Stixx can verify if I'm right.

You can sample in your own kit, kits you get off the internet (like here, for example), or from the MANY sample library web sites out there. Just "Google it!"
            VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
            ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
            ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
            Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I don't have an spd-s and I'm not positive but I think I read in the past that people used the sampling function to add some in between hi hat sounds and somehow map them to improve the overall hi hat ability. Maybe one of the experts here can shed some light on that potential.

(my sister's classmate's friend's boss might have overheard someone say...)

Easy Cheapo gig set:
              Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

You might have been thinking about this thread:
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40086

No in-between sounds, just shows how to use the FD-7 with an SPD-S.
                sigpic

Comment

Can you record and assign multiple sampled sounds to a pad and control the sound selection with a pedal? I thought someone used that as a high hat workaround.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
                  Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

Working...
                  X