Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VH-12 choke (rubber debris?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH-12 choke (rubber debris?)

Hi all,

New to the forum, but have been lurking for awhile! I've had a set of TD-20's for just over a year, recently bought my first VEX pack (wow!)

Anyway, I've done a quick search but couldn't find anything on this issue - perhaps I used the wrong terms?! My VH-12 is choking when open. I can see little bumps (rubber debris?) on the bottom edge sensor. I was having a choking problem with one of my CY-14 before and figured out it was just a rubber debris build up which I could eaisly clean, thanks to some of this boards wonderful members!

Long story short-I'm fairly positive I have a rubber debris build up on my VH-12. Has anybody has this problem, and if so is the VH-12 easy to take apart and clean? It looks alittle more complicated than the Cy-14.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rmk; 07-12-08, 03:41 PM.

I haven't encountered this issue, but do recommend that you double confirm that the offset is set properly.

Sounds like you may have already checked that, so sorry if I'm just restating the obvious.

Comment

Pimenta took one apart for the same issue recently and may have returned it to Roland for repair: VH12 is gone :-(

A year's a bit quick though. Do you use big sticks?

Bruce

Comment

Larrio: I have reset the offset a few times since this issue began; no luck

BarT: Thanks for the link, hope that's not the problem I have! I "massaged" the top hat for awhile until the bumps (debris buildup?) disappeared. This did temporarily fix the problem; but after an hour or so the bumps reappeared and it went back to choking in open position. I use Vic Firth Rock sticks.

Since I'm no longer under warranty I guess I'll try to open it up and have a look. Best case: I remove the debris and it works like new!

I'm not really sure how to open it up, any advice?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rmk View Post
          I use Vic Firth Rock sticks.
          Those are big, heavy sticks; like a 2B+. I think you would punish your Roland cymbals far less with something lighter, as they shouldn't need to be pounded hard with all the settings available.

Originally posted by rmk View Post
          Since I'm no longer under warranty I guess I'll try to open it up and have a look. Best case: I remove the debris and it works like new!

I'm not really sure how to open it up, any advice?
          Thanks
          I suggest sending a Private Message to Pimenta as he has done this recently and I'm sure you'll find him helpful. I doubt whether many other people have opened up a VH-12 yet.

Bruce

Comment

I'ved opened my VH12 top cymbal many times because of this issue and it is just as easy to open as the CY-14. Just use a little lubricant when putting the rubber back into the groove when re-assembling, makes it soooo much easier.

I also posted pics a while ago showing just how bad this build up can get and how badly the trigger can get damaged.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
            *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

So .. my guess is I should have researched for Mt Stixx post .. I did not send the VH12 back yet . since it is kindda hard to me stuck here in the Caymans ... shipping back and forth is prohibitive .. I'd better buy a new one? Or get in touch with Roland. next trip to the U.S. or when someone comes down here .. get the pad for me and send it to Roland for repair .. do not know.

Be very careful not to ruin it .... I made it worse .. used to much force to "clean" it and a part of the switch even got detached from the pad .. but as said just a year is premature. I have been with mine for 4 years ...

Pim
              Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!
                I'll look around for Mr.Stixx post, and let you know how it goes when I have some time to fool around with it.

rmk

Comment

Not impressed...

So I popped it open this morning, cleaned the gunk out...

The rim sensor where it is mis-triggering has a small crack in it....it no longer chokes in open position (thanks to debris removal) however; I only get bow sounds when playing the edge on the half of the HH where the crack is. Hope that makes sense haha.

Needless to say I'm not impressed with the durability of this product as I've only had it for a year. In those 12 months I was out of town working for 3...so it basically lasted me 9 months?!?!

What a piss off, anyone know how much it costs to repair?

Thanks

Comment

Cut away the section that is worn and remove it along with the rest of the trigger that goes around the pad anti-clockwise. You should be left with a small section that is till playable for both bow and edge. DONT remove the trigger from the side that goes into the centre of the cymbal.

For example:

If you are looking at your cymbal as you would play it. Cut from before the worn part and remove the rest of the trigger to the right of that area. Ive done this as a fix and it works, it just gives you a smaller playing area.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                      So .. my guess is I should have researched for Mt Stixx post ..
                      Here are some links to the posts I put the pics in and spoke about this problem.

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...269#post197269

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...light=pictures

Comment

Thanks for the tips Mr. Stixx!

Comment

Working...
                        X