Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD8 sounds 'funny' when MIDI-OX is running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD8 sounds 'funny' when MIDI-OX is running

Today I was playing around with my kit and wanted to check something on my laptop, so I 'resumed' it from Standby and started playing on my TD8.

Suddenly, the kits all started sounding 'funny'.. It was like they were being played through a 'flanger' (is that the right word?).. The pitch would change (bend) depending on how hard you hit the pads.. The Cymbals seemed fine, and it was most noticable on the Tom and Kick..

I tried everything (Power off/on, Factory Reset, dumped new VEX kits, etc) and nothing worked... I assumed that my TD8 was broken and this was re-enforced by the fact that someone had reported something similar a while back).. Disheartened, i switched everything off and was ready to ring Roland..

Then, I decided to check something, so went back, switched on and the drums sounded normal again.. I then woke up the PC and the problem returned.

I then noticed that MIDI-OX was running.. I quit it and the problem went away.. Then I ran it again and the problem returned. So clearly MIDI-OX is the cause, but I can't work out why.

It looks like is some kind of "MIDI Echo". Perhaps the notes I am playing are being recieved as a MIDI event into MIDI-OX and then re-transmitted back to the module and played.. To be honest, its quite an interesting effect, but I don't think that its always done this as I am SURE I have had MIDI-OX running before.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and what exactly is happening?

Jon

I think that would be a MIDI loop because you have both MIDI Out and In cables connected and MIDI-Ox running. So you're hearing TD-8 sounds both triggered directly and via the laptop after a very short delay, which produces the flanging effect.

You could either disconnect one MIDI cable, or exit MIDI-Ox, or switch to a MIDI-Ox devices port mapping preset which does not have both inputs and outputs connected. You could instead switch Local Control OFF on the TD-8 at SETUP, MIDI, GLOBAL so that the pads only trigger module sounds via the MIDI connections, but then if the laptop is off or MIDI-Ox is not running you wouldn't hear anything.

Bruce
    Last edited by BarT; 07-08-08, 10:57 AM. Reason: (clarified wording)

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
      I think that would be a MIDI loop because you have both MIDI Out and In cables connected and MIDI-Ox running. So you're hearing TD-8 sounds both triggered directly and via the laptop after a very short delay which produces the flanging effect.

You could either disconnect one MIDI cable, or exit MIDI-Ox, or switch to a MIDI-Ox devices preset port mapping which does not have both inputs and outputs connected. You could instead switch Local Control OFF on the TD-8 at SETUP, MIDI, GLOBAL so that the pads only trigger module sounds via the MIDI connections, but then if the laptop is off or MIDI-Ox is not running you wouldn't hear anything.

Bruce

Thats Bruce,

That certainly explains what I was seeing.. I had a feeling that it was some kind of 'echo' or 'feedback', but I couldn't work out why.

I know for sure that at one point I had MIDI-OX working and it only RECIEVED MIDI notes, but after reading what you said, i have a feeling I know whats happened.

Some time ago, I seem to remember in the "Port Mapping" screen that I added my MIDI interface to the input AND output sections.... Clearly this is wrong and is almost certainly the cause.

I will have a play around tonight to try and understand this..

Many thanks for your help

Jon

Comment

Working...
      X