Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combining two pads into a single TD-20 input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining two pads into a single TD-20 input

Hello all, I've ordered a TD-20 (my first module) and have some questions regarding input management. I want to maximize the number of pads I can use for now without having to purchase a second module. One approach would be to split inputs; another is to combine 2 pads in parallel into a single input.

First, is it possible to combine two similar pads in parallel into a single TD-20 input using a stereo Y-cable? (I realize that both pads connected to a single input will generate the same sound; that's not a problem.) For example, can I:
    a. combine two Hart Pro kick pads into the Kick input?
    b. combine two Hart Pro tom pads into a single Tom or Aux input?
    c. combine two Roland cymbal pads (CY-14C or CY-15R) into a single Cymbal input?

Second, if two pads are combined into a single input, do the sensitivity, threshold, and curve settings need to be adjusted to accommodate the new circuit?

Third, are there any general rules/guidelines for combining pads into the different inputs (for example, differences between P/P and P/S inputs)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Bob
    Last edited by Tetra-Pro; 07-08-08, 08:02 AM. Reason: Clarified "combining" to mean "combining in parallel"

Splitting inputs requires a special circuit. A Y cable will not do. Do a search for the Raper Circuit.

You can combine pads as long as they are in parallel. I do that with my two kicks. Pads that have rims are a little more tricky, but should work the same, theoretically. P/S pads - I got no idea.

If you are using the same pads, you don't really need to change any settings. But I have found that not all pads are exactly alike. You will have to play around with it.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Michael. I guess I should have been clearer - I did mean combining two pads in parallel into a single TD-20 input using a stereo Y splitter cable. It sounds like this is what you are doing with your kick pads and it is working OK.

Do you ever notice any differences in the volume/response/other characteristics between your two kick pads that could be attributed to manufacturing differences? Or do they both behave pretty much the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Tetra-Pro View Post
        Do you ever notice any differences in the volume/response/other characteristics between your two kick pads that could be attributed to manufacturing differences? Or do they both behave pretty much the same?
        Some days I swear I do, then I try both pads with my right foot and it sounds the same. I think any difference is due to my left foot being weaker.

What I do notice is that two kick drums wired in parallel are louder than a single pad with a double beater, since the single beaters sit right in the center where the piezos are.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X