Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with Roland CY-8 cymbal pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Roland CY-8 cymbal pads

In the past couple of months, I've been playing live and recording with my Roland TD-9SX kit. One thing I've noticed is that the two CY-8 cymbal pads I have (Crash 1 and Crash 2) both appear to have a problem with choking.

When I reach to choke the cymbal, it sounds at full volume and quickly chokes. Sometimes it will even play and sustain without being choked.

I have been very conscious in my testing to grab the cymbal the same way each time and have tried from the same spot (directly in front of me) as well as off to the sides of the rubber portion of the pad.

The issue is intermittant, and when I unplug and re-plug the cable, it seems to resolve itself.

Anyone else having this happen with their CY-8's, or know if this is something I need to contact Roland support for warranty work?

I had similar issues with the CY-8s on my TD-6 kit.

I backed the sensitivity down a couple notches and the problem is gone.
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I'll give that a shot when I get back in front of the kit this evening. My only worry is that the pad will loose some of its ability to handle cymbal swells. Time will tell.

I may just replace them with CY-12R/C's when I upgrade my module to the TD-12, but I don't see having $2,000 any time soon, so I better figure this out.

Comment

How do you choke them? Pinching the edge with thumb on top and fingers/knuckles underneath?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by winzlo View Post
          One thing I've noticed is that the two CY-8 cymbal pads I have (Crash 1 and Crash 2) both appear to have a problem with choking.
          Tell them not to eat so fast and always be ready to perform the Heimlich...

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that...I am so ashamed.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I choke my CY-8's the same way - thumb on top, 2 fingers underneath. I'm about to sit down in front of the kit and try the sensitivity adjustment idea.

Comment

The pressure needs to be between about half an inch and one inch from the edge to choke a CY-8 properly.

Bruce

Comment

Ok, the problem does not appear to have anything to do with sensitivity - I lowered it to 4 (was set to 12) and had the same issue (no choke when choked), then cranked it to 25 with no change except some missed triggering because I hit too lightly.

I am thinking that the connectors are just too flimsy for practical use, but fortunately I sprang for the extended warranty and will get a new CY-8 in a week or two to try this again.

Comment

Working...
                X