Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vdrumlib [realtime changes?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vdrumlib [realtime changes?]

Hello, when you change a setting in Vdrumlib the changes are in realtime on the module (td12) or you have to upload it?

Thanks
    Site for exchanging kit for Roland Vdrums
    sigpic
    www.vdrums.es

You have to upload it.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks michael, is there a way to do it in realtime? other sofware?
      sigpic
      www.vdrums.es

Comment

Originally posted by joseclaro1 View Post
        Thanks michael, is there a way to do it in realtime? other sofware?
        Hmm, what you mean is a software interface to the module?? That sounds like a really good idea.

However, I don't think there is any such software available at the moment. It would require that the software downloads all settings first, then upon changing a setting, the software would send a sysex to the the module, and again when another setting changes.

It should be possible to write such a function, but like I said, it may not currently exist out there... The question is also how efficient it would be since there would be a lot of sysex messages flying through those MIDI cables.
        Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

That would be a great feature - managing the module with a PC connection. I think it requires changes on Roland's side to do so.

Comment

It would require SYSEX or CC commands for the controlling of each feature. A lot of synths do this but the Roland modules do not. Although it would be cool, it is, at this time, impossible.
            sigpic

Comment

Having the intimate relationship with the midi SysEx messages for the TD-6V i have... heres my input.

Roland would have to have the one of the best SysEx implementation of all manufactures.

Example, dissecting a single drum sysex message

Code:
              F0 41 10 00 3F 12 41 00 00 00 4A 61 7A 7A 20 4B 69 74
              01 64 02 02 00 0C 00 0C 01 01 00 0A 18 7F 7F 7F 7F 37 F7
              This sysex message will change the parameters of the Kick drum in kit 01 on a TD6V, it has the instrument (drum, volume, pan, pitch, decay) Ambiance, control etc settings.

Code:
              [B]F0[/B] 41 10 00 3F 12 41
              This is the initiation part of the message, it has the manufactures code for Roland, and ID for a TD6V

Code:
              00 00 00 4A 61 7A 7A 20 4B 69 74 01 64 02
              02 00 0C 00 0C 01 01 00 0A 18 7F 7F 7F 7F [B][COLOR="Red"]37[/COLOR] F7[/B]
              This is the settings of the kick
              the byte in red is the Checksum it makes sure that the message has been transmitted properly, if any byte in the message is missing or corrupt, the checksum will be wrong and the message is discarded.

Say you wanted to just change the volume, you could change a single memory address by doing something like this, this would change the volume of the kick to 105 (69H)
              Code:
              F0 41 10 00 3F 12 41 00 01 [COLOR="Blue"]06[/COLOR] 69 [B][COLOR="Red"]XX[/COLOR][/B] F7
              Blue; the address you are changing.

So summing up, if you had software that would output midi Sysex just chaning that one byte you could change settings in realtime.
              You could also do this in hardware with a midi CC to sysex translator.
              You may not get smooth transitions while changing a setting via SysEx, but It would be suitable for making realtime changes
              I have started programing something that will do this, im just having trouble getting my head around GUI programing, and it takes time away from actual playing

have i stopped making sense now? hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Levon View Post
                Having the intimate relationship with the midi SysEx messages for the TD-6V i have... heres my input.

Roland would have to have the one of the best SysEx implementation of all manufactures...
                Well, this is true for the TD-6/8/10. But, NONE of it applies to the TD-12 that the OP was inquiring about. Unfortunately, the TD-12/20 uses a very different SysEx implementation. So, you cannot apply rules from the TD-6/8/10 to the TD-12/20.

The smallest chunk of data you can send to the TD-12 is the entire kit data block for a single kit. Since the kit data block is pretty large, it is pretty slow to send and it is therefore NOT very responsive to realtime changes.

So, unless there are hidden sysex commands that we have not yet identified, realtime editing via a PC does not seem practical on the TD-12 & TD-20.

-SD-

Comment

Is any of the SysEx message content documented anywhere? Does Roland make it available?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_ View Post
                    Is any of the SysEx message content documented anywhere? Does Roland make it available?
                    Not for the TD-12 or TD-20. But, yes for the TD-6/8/10 -- it is in the back of the owners manual.

Roland does have a MIDI addendum for the TD-12 and TD-20, but it doesn't include any of the information that is required to implement this sort of thing.

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
                      Well, this is true for the TD-6/8/10. But, NONE of it applies to the TD-12 that the OP was inquiring about. Unfortunately, the TD-12/20 uses a very different SysEx implementation. So, you cannot apply rules from the TD-6/8/10 to the TD-12/20.
                      Sucks to have a TD 12/20

I guess this means any realtime editors will be limited to TD 3, 6, 8, 10...

Comment

Sucks to have a TD 12/20

I am extremely happy with TD-12 ... but I would like a few more pads
                        Ask not whether something is useful -- ask what it is useful for.

Roland TD-12, Iron Cobra hihat stand and bass-drum pedal from TAMA. My accoustic kit is a Yamaha Power-V Birch with Paiste Alpha-series splashes, crashes, and hihat. My ride is a Zildjan Ping Ride, 20" I think.

Check out my TD-12 on Youtube. My page is here http://www.youtube.com/HerlPearl.

Comment

I find the interface to the TD-20 so good that I don't need a PC based one.
                          Originally posted by Herl View Post
                          but I would like a few more pads
                          I hear dat!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                            I find the interface to the TD-20 so good that I don't need a PC based one.
                            Yes, I agree. Same goes for the TD-12 and the new TD-9. In fact, the new TD-9 doesn't even have any sysex bulk dump options on its menu, nor in its manual. These newer modules have on-board UI's that are quite good and very easy to navigate. Also, I find that you really need to be sitting at the kit with your sticks and using your ears if you are building custom kits from scratch.

However, the TD-6 doesn't have a great UI, so I can see why TD-6 owners might want a PC for the UI. But, when a TD-12/20 owner asks for a PC based interface, I find this very puzzling. I'm sure there must be some reason why they think this is necessary. Maybe it is not for kit building, but to control the TD remotely from the DAW when recording in the studio, or something like that. Anyone care to elaborate why they think a realtime editor would be useful on the TD-12/20?

-SD-

Comment

My idea was to access de hiden features in the td12 in realtime, 'cause making changes on vdrumlib and then uploading to the module is slow.... I think.

How long does it take for a kit to be uploaded? what are the steps?

I cannot try it myself buecause the trail period endend and I never got to test it.
                              sigpic
                              www.vdrums.es

Comment

Working...
                              X