Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD12 Hum and Cabling Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD12 Hum and Cabling Question

Hello,

Been reading this forum for months now, and finally got around to posting.

I've recently treated myself to a Peavey PR-15P PA powered speaker, to use as a monitor for my TD-12 and one day something to practise/gig with.
    Very impressed, very low-level hiss, and terrific punchy bass, unfortunately due to the neighbours, I can't turn the volume past 2, let alone up to 11!

The problem I've got is that when running the TD-12 though the amp, I'm getting an audible hum. I only get this hum when running the TD-12 in, so it's obviously not a problem with the Active Speaker. This just leaves the TD-12.
    The amp is wired up via the master out, left into one input and right into the other input, each input is mixed and fed into the active speaker amp.
    I get no hum (from my headphones) if I plug my headphones into the master out. I do get hum if I plug the patch lead into line in (just investigating..).
    Measuring the AC voltage between the ground on the speaker and the ground on the TD-12 brings up ~8V, which is not enough to be audible, I believe.

The cables are standard "good quality" mono shielded cables, and I've played around with some others, no change..
    I can obviously live with this hum (but why should I?), since the speakers are turned way down, but if I wanted to crank them up, this hum would be quite noticeable!
    Any ideas what my next check is?

How do people connect their TD-12 to their active speakers? I've only got one speaker, so I only need one input, but I like the stereo separation in my headphones and rapidly switch between the two. So don't really want to compromise here.
    Is running left and right into 2 of the active speakers three inputs correct, or will there be some phasing/distortion problems?

Cheers

Jonathan

Hello and welcome. Try searching for 'ground loop' in the search, or on google. It might also be worth using just 1 output. If you run a single cable from the L/Mono output on the module, it'll automatically send a summed mono signal to the speaker. Whether this would help in your situation or not is another matter.

Comment

Hello,

I've measured the AC voltage between the ground points again, it was actually ~6V not ~8V.

Earth pin socket on mains outlet -> Earth on speaker cabinet = ~6V
      Earth pin socket on mains outlet -> Earth on TD-12 = ~0V
      Earth on speaker cabinet -> Earth on TD-12 = ~6V

Huge resistance between Earth on speaker cabinet and Earth on TD-12, means minimal current flowing between the two.

I don't have any other mains powered audio equipment to run to the active speaker, apart from hifi, so stuck.

Cheers

Jonathan

Comment

I also get a hum sometimes when using the master outputs of my TD-12 or my TD-20. I bought a direct (DI) box with a ground lift input and that has solved the problem for me.
        TD-20, SPD-S, TAMA '82 Superstars
        http://www.outawhack.net/drumming ___ http://www.zendaddyband.com ___ http://www.myspace.com/353238983

Comment

The hum is probably indicating a poor ground connection

- try balanced cables from your master out to the powered speaker
          - try taking an output from your headphones to your powered speaker and see if the hum is still there
          - you could try putting one of those magnetic collars on the power cables (I doubt this will do anything but it's worth a test)

Comment

Comment

Hello,

The DI box fixed my mains hum problem.
              It has a button labelled "Ground Lift", when this was pushed in, the hum stopped.

Cheers

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
              X