Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

add spd-s to TD20 using TD20`s sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add spd-s to TD20 using TD20`s sounds?

Hi everyone.
    If you connect the midi OUT of the spd-s (or alesis control pad) to the midi IN of the TD20 (or any module), will you able to trigger the sounds of the TD20 with the pads of the spd-s?

I`m asking because I want to trigger, with the spd-s pads, 8 different china cymbals from the TD20.

Is this possible? If yes, how?

Thanks.

Yes and no. You can use MIDI to trigger the TD-20, but you only get the same number of COSM sounds as you have pad inputs. So if 8 of your pads are assigned to china cymbals, you can trigger them via MIDI.

Now if you don't need the COSM sounds, but can use the standard percussion sounds, you can have up to 128 instruments on the channel 10 percussion sets. But if you have to do that, you might as well use 8 really good samples on the SPD-S.

If you HAVE to have the COSM sounds, consider using rims and/or the aux channels.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi hcantu,

I may be missing the point here, but why don't you just sample the COSM sounds onto your SPD-S and trigger them directly from the SPD-S?

Comment

The thing is that I don't have the spd-s, I have the Alesis Control Pad, but I used the spd-s as a reference because I know that no one here uses the alesis control pad .

Michael, yeah I was fearing that was the way to do it.
        In other words, I can only trigger the sounds of all the TD20's inputs I am using within each TD20 kit or patch, right?
        And, I'll be able to trigger congas, etc, (but no cymbals) using the percussion sounds, right? Do I need to change a setting on the TD20 to trigger the percussion sounds?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hcantu View Post
          The thing is that I don't have the spd-s, I have the Alesis Control Pad, but I used the spd-s as a reference because I know that no one here uses the alesis control pad .
          Yeah, but we all know how they work. No need to confuse us with all that SPD-S talk!
          Originally posted by hcantu View Post
          In other words, I can only trigger the sounds of all the TD20's inputs I am using within each TD20 kit or patch, right?
          And, I'll be able to trigger congas, etc, (but no cymbals) using the percussion sounds, right? Do I need to change a setting on the TD20 to trigger the percussion sounds?
          You pretty much got it. The percussion kits are on channel 11. You may want to tweak one of the sets to have the instruments you need.

I still think you should use the Aux rims. You can split them so the head and rim have different sounds. Set the rims to cymbals and trigger via MIDI!
          sigpic

Comment

Well, two of my Aux's rims are already used since I'm using the splitter cable (or whatever is called) to have two pads on one input. But yeah, you are right, I can still use my other 2 Aux and Crash2 (where I have a mono pad). That'll make it 3 different chinas......If I add the tom rims, i'll be getting 7 chinas in total......

Thanks Michael...

Comment

sorry about the thumbs down...that was accidental...I swear

Comment

ANd don't forget the Kick rim. Almost nobody uses that!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah that's right....that'll make it 8 chinas....cool thanks.

Comment

Hey Michael....
                    On its way, there is an Alesis Trigger IO.
                    Will I be able to get the TD20 COSM sounds from my Alesis Control Pad and any other extra pads I may connect to the Alesis Triger IO if I connect evrything like this?

Trigger IO Midi Out ---> Alesis Control Pad's Midi In -------->Alesis Control Pad's Midi Out --> TD20 Midi In

Is this correct?

Comment

Only if the the Control Pad has MIDI through. Some units do, some don't. amd some are software selectable. The SPD-S (for examble) has a "Soft Thru" feature that will route the MIDI in to the MIDI out. Check you manuals.
                      sigpic

Comment

Damn...it doesn't say anything. Probably not......
                        With what I have (TD20, Alesis Control Pad, and Trigger IO with extra pads), what do I need to do to trigger more TD20 sounds?

Is it possible?

Comment

This is what it says on the COntrol Pad's manual:

MIDI IN PORT
                          Use a five-pin MIDI cable to connect the OUTPUT of another ControlPad to this MIDI IN port. The ControlPad will function as a MIDI interface and send the incoming MIDI data through the USB port. This input will show up on your
                          computer as “USB Audio Device [2]” or “USB Audio Device [2] [Emulated]”.

MIDI OUT PORT
                          Use a five-pin MIDI cable to connect the OUTPUT of the ControlPad to the
                          MIDI IN port of an external device, such as a drum machine, synthesizer or sound module.

Comment

Sounds like you need a MIDI combiner. I have a 4 channel one I use with my Receptor.
                            sigpic

Comment

After reading several threads, I got to this conclusion (please tell me if I'm wrong):
                              There is no point of adding a Trigger IO since I already have the Control Pad. Practically, the COntrol Pad does the same thing as the Trigger IO (add only the percussion sets of the TD20) with the advantage that it has built in 8 pads.
                              In other words,
                              Trigger IO + 8 pads = Control Pad.

Actually, Trigger IO + 12 pads = Control Pad, because the Control Pad has 4 inputs on the back.

Am I correct?
                              Or there is some way to use more of the TD20 drum kit sounds, besides the one of all my trigger inputs (head/rim), with the Trigger IO?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X