Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you experienced sudden death of module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you experienced sudden death of module?

Inspired by Cramsession's thread, I thought I would pose this question:

Has your module ever just completely quit on you out of the blue with no advance indication something was wrong? I suppose this might include the power supply since those are pretty module-specific. It doesn't matter whether it was during a gig or just goofing around. If you have such a story, give some background - what model, how old, how well it was taken care of, etc.

A cord getting kicked out of the wall doesn't count, nor do partial failures. I'm talking one minute fine, the next completely non-functioning.

Just curious as to how dependable modules tend to be. Should we carry a spare?

No problems like that here. I have two modules and a TMC-6 and play my kit pretty much every day, sometimes for long periods and have never had a problem with the exception of my TD12's LCD failing when I first got my kit. The whole module was replaced under warranty with no down time. I actually got the replacement BEFORE I returned my faulty one so I could midi the two and transfer my settings.

Comment

You should always have a backup plan, wether it's modules, bass drum pedals, heads etc......
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

It's not too much different than any other electronic/digital piece of equipment. I'd say in general, they're just as reliable (or subceptable to problems) as electronic keyboards, "Line6 type" digital amps, iPODs, etc. What do your electric guitarists/bassists/keyboardists do for backups?

Comment

Interesting question. If this is your profession, obviously having a backup of everything makes sense. But thinking along these lines, a backup TD-12 or TD-20 get's quite expensive. Personally I think this is where the software route make much more sense.

Adam

Comment

You could buy an Alesis DM-5 for $349 new. It has sounds, trigger inputs, it would get you by until you had your module repaired.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. So, has nobody experienced a sudden, complete, and unexpected failure of a module? Anyone?... Anyone?... Beuhler?

Comment

I think this is a fairly rare occurrence.

It would be like someone's keyboard being fried. How many of them carry a spare? If it happens, you will get a lot of grief and you will tell stories about it much later but there isn't much you can do about it.

When I bought my TD-20 and gigged out, I never took my TD-10 as back up. Odds of something going wrong were too slim.
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X